UBS Securities lifts profit estimates of Microchip Technology
By Balasubramanyam Seshan | August 2, 2010 11:05 PM EST
UBS Securities raised earnings estimates of semiconductor company Microchip Technology Inc. on Friday as it expects seasonal outlook on sustained demand. The brokerage reiterated its Buy rating on shares of Microchip, while increasing its price target to $33.50 from $32.50.
“For Microchip’s fiscal first quarter results, on slightly raised estimates given a better than expected demand environment, we now expect sales/non-GAAP EPS of $319.8 million/$0.54 above consensus of $319.2 million/$0.52. Note Microchip had record first two months’ bookings and backlog for fiscal second quarter,” said Uche Orji, an analyst at UBS Securities.
The analyst said supporting strong fiscal first quarter growth are 16-bit microcontrollers (MCUs), which likely grew as much as 20 percent quarter-over-quarter. For fiscal second quarter, the analyst expects sales/non-GAAP EPS of $329.6 million/$0.55, above consensus of $328.7 million/$0.53.
Microchip was very positive about near-term sales momentum at the UBS technology conference on June 9, expecting 16-bit MCU sales could double year-over-year in fiscal 2011, UBS Securities said in a report to its clients.
“We remain positive on Microchip on: near-term expectations for MCU share gains, its 4.4 percent dividend yield (more than 70 percent payout ratio), which we believe is sustainable, undemanding valuation assumption for mid-single-digit sales growth, which essentially translates to no future microcontroller market share gains, an outcome we view as very conservative given a solid product pipeline,” said Orji.
The brokerage increased its 2011 EPS estimate of Microchip to $2.00 from $1.94 and its 2012 estimate to $2.14 from $2.05.
Microchip shares closed Friday up 0.23 percent at $30.45 on the Nasdaq, while in after-hours the stock fell 0.63 percent at $30.26.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Apple on 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Release Will Not Happen Until 2015 with Stocks Poised to Soar
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points