'Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together' Live Benefit Telethon Airs Friday Night On NBC: How You Can Contribute In Sandy's Aftermath
By Amethyst Tate | November 3, 2012 2:03 AM EST
"Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" is a one-hour live benefit telethon set to air Friday night at 8pm Eastern Time to raise money for those impacted by the devastating storm.
NBC "Today" anchor Matt Lauer will be the host. According to NBC affiliated station WOOD-TV, celebrities set to join the broadcast are Mary J. Blige, Tina Fey, Kevin Bacon, James Gandolfini, Al Roker, and Jon Stewart.
Performers include Billy Joel, Christina Aguilera, Bruce Springsteen, and Sting.
According to the Daily News, the death toll in New York City due to Hurricane Sandy has risen to 40. Many Americans on the East Coast are still without power, including about 570,000 Con Ed customers. However, progress has been made, as Consolidated Edison Inc. spokesman Robert McGee said on Friday in an interview with Michael McKee on Bloomberg Radio’s “Bloomberg - The First Word," “We’ve made some significant progress. We do hope to get all of Manhattan back by the end of the day today.”
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, whose state was left devastated after Hurricane Sandy hit, has been one of several officials who have praised President Barack Obama and FEMA for their quick response to the devastating storm.
“The federal government’s response has been great. I was on the phone at midnight again last night with the President, personally, he has expedited the designation of New Jersey as a major disaster area,” Christie said earlier this week on NBC’s “Today” show, the Washington Post reported.
“The President has been outstanding in this and so have the folks at FEMA,” Christie added.
New Yorkers have been strong and resilient in the midst of their suffering, many returning to work this week.
The MTA NYC subway trains have been restored with limited service, and President Obama has been heavily involved in providing federal disaster relief to Sandy’s aftermath.
Money collected from "Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together," will be donated to the American Red Cross relief efforts for Hurricane Sandy.
To donate, people can visit www.redcross.org , call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
The telethon also will be live-streamed on NBC.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28