'Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together' Live Benefit Telethon Airs Friday Night On NBC: How You Can Contribute In Sandy's Aftermath
By Amethyst Tate | November 3, 2012 2:03 AM EST
"Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" is a one-hour live benefit telethon set to air Friday night at 8pm Eastern Time to raise money for those impacted by the devastating storm.
NBC "Today" anchor Matt Lauer will be the host. According to NBC affiliated station WOOD-TV, celebrities set to join the broadcast are Mary J. Blige, Tina Fey, Kevin Bacon, James Gandolfini, Al Roker, and Jon Stewart.
Performers include Billy Joel, Christina Aguilera, Bruce Springsteen, and Sting.
According to the Daily News, the death toll in New York City due to Hurricane Sandy has risen to 40. Many Americans on the East Coast are still without power, including about 570,000 Con Ed customers. However, progress has been made, as Consolidated Edison Inc. spokesman Robert McGee said on Friday in an interview with Michael McKee on Bloomberg Radio’s “Bloomberg - The First Word," “We’ve made some significant progress. We do hope to get all of Manhattan back by the end of the day today.”
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, whose state was left devastated after Hurricane Sandy hit, has been one of several officials who have praised President Barack Obama and FEMA for their quick response to the devastating storm.
“The federal government’s response has been great. I was on the phone at midnight again last night with the President, personally, he has expedited the designation of New Jersey as a major disaster area,” Christie said earlier this week on NBC’s “Today” show, the Washington Post reported.
“The President has been outstanding in this and so have the folks at FEMA,” Christie added.
New Yorkers have been strong and resilient in the midst of their suffering, many returning to work this week.
The MTA NYC subway trains have been restored with limited service, and President Obama has been heavily involved in providing federal disaster relief to Sandy’s aftermath.
Money collected from "Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together," will be donated to the American Red Cross relief efforts for Hurricane Sandy.
To donate, people can visit www.redcross.org , call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
The telethon also will be live-streamed on NBC.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast