'Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together' Live Benefit Telethon Airs Friday Night On NBC: How You Can Contribute In Sandy's Aftermath
By Amethyst Tate | November 3, 2012 2:03 AM EST
"Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" is a one-hour live benefit telethon set to air Friday night at 8pm Eastern Time to raise money for those impacted by the devastating storm.
NBC "Today" anchor Matt Lauer will be the host. According to NBC affiliated station WOOD-TV, celebrities set to join the broadcast are Mary J. Blige, Tina Fey, Kevin Bacon, James Gandolfini, Al Roker, and Jon Stewart.
Performers include Billy Joel, Christina Aguilera, Bruce Springsteen, and Sting.
According to the Daily News, the death toll in New York City due to Hurricane Sandy has risen to 40. Many Americans on the East Coast are still without power, including about 570,000 Con Ed customers. However, progress has been made, as Consolidated Edison Inc. spokesman Robert McGee said on Friday in an interview with Michael McKee on Bloomberg Radio’s “Bloomberg - The First Word," “We’ve made some significant progress. We do hope to get all of Manhattan back by the end of the day today.”
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, whose state was left devastated after Hurricane Sandy hit, has been one of several officials who have praised President Barack Obama and FEMA for their quick response to the devastating storm.
“The federal government’s response has been great. I was on the phone at midnight again last night with the President, personally, he has expedited the designation of New Jersey as a major disaster area,” Christie said earlier this week on NBC’s “Today” show, the Washington Post reported.
“The President has been outstanding in this and so have the folks at FEMA,” Christie added.
New Yorkers have been strong and resilient in the midst of their suffering, many returning to work this week.
The MTA NYC subway trains have been restored with limited service, and President Obama has been heavily involved in providing federal disaster relief to Sandy’s aftermath.
Money collected from "Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together," will be donated to the American Red Cross relief efforts for Hurricane Sandy.
To donate, people can visit www.redcross.org , call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
The telethon also will be live-streamed on NBC.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge