'Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together' Live Benefit Telethon Airs Friday Night On NBC: How You Can Contribute In Sandy's Aftermath
By Amethyst Tate | November 3, 2012 2:03 AM EST
"Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" is a one-hour live benefit telethon set to air Friday night at 8pm Eastern Time to raise money for those impacted by the devastating storm.
NBC "Today" anchor Matt Lauer will be the host. According to NBC affiliated station WOOD-TV, celebrities set to join the broadcast are Mary J. Blige, Tina Fey, Kevin Bacon, James Gandolfini, Al Roker, and Jon Stewart.
Performers include Billy Joel, Christina Aguilera, Bruce Springsteen, and Sting.
According to the Daily News, the death toll in New York City due to Hurricane Sandy has risen to 40. Many Americans on the East Coast are still without power, including about 570,000 Con Ed customers. However, progress has been made, as Consolidated Edison Inc. spokesman Robert McGee said on Friday in an interview with Michael McKee on Bloomberg Radio’s “Bloomberg - The First Word," “We’ve made some significant progress. We do hope to get all of Manhattan back by the end of the day today.”
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, whose state was left devastated after Hurricane Sandy hit, has been one of several officials who have praised President Barack Obama and FEMA for their quick response to the devastating storm.
“The federal government’s response has been great. I was on the phone at midnight again last night with the President, personally, he has expedited the designation of New Jersey as a major disaster area,” Christie said earlier this week on NBC’s “Today” show, the Washington Post reported.
“The President has been outstanding in this and so have the folks at FEMA,” Christie added.
New Yorkers have been strong and resilient in the midst of their suffering, many returning to work this week.
The MTA NYC subway trains have been restored with limited service, and President Obama has been heavily involved in providing federal disaster relief to Sandy’s aftermath.
Money collected from "Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together," will be donated to the American Red Cross relief efforts for Hurricane Sandy.
To donate, people can visit www.redcross.org , call 1-800-RED-CROSS or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
The telethon also will be live-streamed on NBC.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers