Update Galaxy S I9000 to Android
4.1.2 Jelly Bean with AOKP Milestone 1 ROM Photo: XDA Developers
Galaxy S I9000 users are among the lucky few to enjoy the goodness of latest Jelly Bean update on their device through the most stable release of AOKP ROM - the AOKP Milestone 1. The installation of this ROM requires your phone to be rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery installed on it.
AOKP Milestone 1 ROM Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Features
- Adjustable NavBar width for Tablets
- Allow "Vibrate on Touch" behavior for Slide unlock
- Toggles can be hidden like in ICS - long press on the Settings button!
- Clickable (short & long configurable) Clock and Calendar in the Notification Slide
Key Points to Note
- The AOKP Milestone 1 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Galaxy S I9000 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development and check the USB debugging option. This feature helps in connecting your Android Phone with the computer.
- Users are advised to backup their apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while flashing the AOKP Milestone 1 ROM or installing the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update.
- Make sure that your phone battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the firmware update.
- Verify that your phone is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery installed on it.
- Do a Dalvik Cache wipe before continuing from the Recovery Mode.
- Samsung KIES will not recognise your phone after the AOKP Milestone 1 ROM is installed, as it is a custom ROM.
- It must be noted that the ROM is not an official release, but rather a custom ROM based on AOSP release of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing the AOKP Milestone 1 ROM based Jelly Bean update on the Galaxy S I9000. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install AOKP Milestone 1 ROM Based Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S I9000
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 AOKP Milestone 1 Jelly Bean and Google Apps for Galaxy S to your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S I9000 USB mass storage on your computer with a USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded Android 4.1.2 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off your phone and unplug the USB cable to disconnect the phone from the computer.
Step 5 - Press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the device boots into CWM Recovery Mode.
Step 6 - In CWM recovery, do a full data wipe first. Then browse and select "flash zip from SD card" option and tap the Power button to select it.
Step 7 - Tap the Power button again and click choose zip from sdcard.
Step 8 - Now, use your volume keys to navigate to the Android 4.1.2 ROM zip file that you copied to your phone in step 3 and select it using the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should begin.
NOTE: Repeat this step for installing Google Apps.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, hit Go Back and reboot the phone by tapping Reboot System now from the recovery menu. The phone will reboot and the first boot may take about 5 minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
AOKP Milestone 1 ROM based Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S I9000. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: