Newmont Earnings Dip 26% in Q3
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 2, 2012 6:09 PM EST
Third quarter earnings of Newmont Mining, the world's second largest gold miner, fell 26 per cent as operating costs escalated. A production decline at its Indonesian and Australian/Pacific mines also contributed to the drop.
Its big Batu Hijau copper and gold mine on Sumbawa island in Indonesia, in the quarter ended September 30, gave off an 89 per cent fall in gold production. Copper production likewise plummeted as much as 54 per cent due to lower-grade ore.
Newmont said that gold generated at Batu Hijau dropped to 7,000 ounces in the quarter compared from 65,000 a year ago, whereas copper, to 19 million pounds from 41 million.
Lower production and higher waste mining costs led costs attached to sales to jack up more than double by 134 per cent an ounce of gold and 164 per cent per pound of copper. With the waste removal as its Phase 6 still ongoing, waste tons mined increased by 57 per cent versus a year ago.
Gold production from the Australia/New Zealand region likewise fell 14 per cent from a year ago primarily due to a delay in open-pit ore production at Waihi, lower underground mining rates at Tanami and lower grades at Jundee and Kalgoorlie.
Profit dropped to $367 million or 74 cents per share, from $493 million, or 98 cents per share the previous year.
Still, Newmont is maintaining its 2012 attributable capital expenditure outlook of $2.7 to $3.0 billion, or $3.0 to $3.3 billion on a consolidated basis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date