HSBC Disappointed with Duo
By Golf 365 | November 2, 2012 5:03 PM EST
While their absence gives other golfers in the field an opportunity to close the gap on the money lists, the tournament's sponsors are disappointed that the game's two biggest names are absent from the star-studded field.
Global head of sponsorship and events for HSBC Giles Morgan was particularly upset that McIlroy skipped the event after playing elsewhere in Asia.
"To have a World Golf Championship in Asia is really important for the sport, to balance the sport out, and to grow," Morgan said.
"And because it's a World Golf Championship event, it requires the best players to be here."
Instead of competing at the hilly Mission Hills course, Woods is making a trip to Singapore for corporate commitments, while McIlroy is watching tennis in Bulgaria where his girlfriend - Caroline Wozniacki - competes in the WTA's Tournament of Champions.
The Ulsterman, however, is scheduled to play in the Barclays Singapore Open next weekend, as well as the Hong Kong Open the following weekend.
"I think the feeling is - and it seems to be among media and a lot of other people with the stakeholders, not just us as the sponsors - well, if they're in China and there's a World Golf Championship, this would be a good event to be at because it's a WGC, but a WGC in Asia, which helps elevate the game," said Morgan, who added that both players did apologise to him personally for missing the event.
Four-time major winner Ernie Els was also disappointed that the pair was missing.
"You know, you can't play every week. You can't play everywhere," the reigning British Open champion said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch