HSBC Disappointed with Duo
By Golf 365 | November 2, 2012 5:03 PM EST
While their absence gives other golfers in the field an opportunity to close the gap on the money lists, the tournament's sponsors are disappointed that the game's two biggest names are absent from the star-studded field.
Global head of sponsorship and events for HSBC Giles Morgan was particularly upset that McIlroy skipped the event after playing elsewhere in Asia.
"To have a World Golf Championship in Asia is really important for the sport, to balance the sport out, and to grow," Morgan said.
"And because it's a World Golf Championship event, it requires the best players to be here."
Instead of competing at the hilly Mission Hills course, Woods is making a trip to Singapore for corporate commitments, while McIlroy is watching tennis in Bulgaria where his girlfriend - Caroline Wozniacki - competes in the WTA's Tournament of Champions.
The Ulsterman, however, is scheduled to play in the Barclays Singapore Open next weekend, as well as the Hong Kong Open the following weekend.
"I think the feeling is - and it seems to be among media and a lot of other people with the stakeholders, not just us as the sponsors - well, if they're in China and there's a World Golf Championship, this would be a good event to be at because it's a WGC, but a WGC in Asia, which helps elevate the game," said Morgan, who added that both players did apologise to him personally for missing the event.
Four-time major winner Ernie Els was also disappointed that the pair was missing.
"You know, you can't play every week. You can't play everywhere," the reigning British Open champion said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’