South Australia Receives First Airflight Call from Emirates
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 2, 2012 3:48 PM EST
South Australia marked a historical milestone for Adelaide as it received its first direct commercial flight call from Dubai-based Emirates, effectively making the airline the first Gulf carrier to fly to South Australia.
On Thursday, Emirates launched flight EK440 which utilizes an Emirates' Boeing 777-300ER aircraft. Initially flying four times weekly from Dubai to Adelaide, it will later on increase to daily services effective first of February 2013.
It has all first, business and economy classes on board.
"We are investing in South Australia for the long haul, dedicating a Boeing 777-300ER aircraft to the route fitted with our highest on-board product offering and employing more than 150 South Australians in airline and airport service," Salem Obaidalla, Emirates' Senior Vice President, Commercial Operations, Far East and Australasia, said during the inaugural flight to Adelaide.
"We have long held ambitions to operate flights to Adelaide, and today heralds a new level of connectivity from South Australia to Dubai, and the world with Emirates international network of more than 120 destinations," he said.
When the service becomes daily next year, Emirates expects an additional 5,000 international seats per week on the route, which could mean a boost of 30 per cent for the market, opening jobs and investment in South Australia's A$53bn tourism sector and adding 14 tonnes of commercial cargo space on each flight, Mr Obaidalla said.
The new service expects to fly more than 200,000 passengers annually between South Australia and Dubai. UK and Europe are expected to be strongest markets for both inbound and outbound travel.
Flight EK441 departs Adelaide at 10.45pm every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday, reaching Emirates' Dubai hub at 5.25am the next day.
The return Dubai-Adelaide leg, EK440, wheels up at 1.55am for arrival into Adelaide at 8.45pm.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]