Canberra Teams up with Facebook, Mental Health Group to Battle Cyber Bullying
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 2, 2012 1:45 PM EST
Australia's federal government has teamed up with Facebook and Headspace and Project Rocket, a youth mental health group, to battle cyber bullying. They launched on Friday, Nov 2, the new campaign Be Bold and Stop Bullying.
The launch was held at the Matraville Sports High School with recording artist Ruby Rose participating in the roll out.
The campaign features a Facebook app that will encourage the 11 million Australians who have an account with the world's most popular social networking site to stand up against bullying, particularly done on the Internet.
The app includes a heat map which indicates how many Facebook users are following the campaign, resources on how parents and teachers could prevent bullying and tips on the creation of anti-bullying groups.
"Whether bullying happens online or face to face there's usually someone else who sees it happen," Headspace Chief Executive Officer Chris Tanti said in a statement. He warned that bullying's impact on mental health are serious and have long-term consequences.
The three-point pledge of the campaign are speak up, be an advocate and be a role model by standing up when witness to young people being humiliated or hurting each other through bullying, stick up for others in need of help beyond one's circle of close friends and not use the phone or computer to spread rumours or say hateful things.
Besides using the Facebook app, Minister for Mental Health and Ageing Mark Butler urge young Australians with concerns about mental health to visit the Web site www.mindhealthconnect.com.au.
"These innovative new innovations recognise that four in five Australians turn to the web for information about their health, including their mental health, and it's important to ensure accurate information is available where young people look for it," Mr Butler said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup