Barrick Gold (ABX) Plunges 9.3% on Dismal Earnings Report
By jturbin | November 2, 2012 4:18 AM EST
Barrick Gold (ABX), the world’s largest gold mining company, fell as much as $3.76, or 9.3%, to $36.74 per share on Thursday after delivering very disappointing third quarter earnings results.
The Canadian-based gold miner reported earnings per share (EPS) of $0.62, although when adjusted for various one-time items the figure came in at $0.85. Nonetheless, Barrick’s adjusted EPS was well below the $0.99 consensus estimate among Wall Street analysts.
(For several analysts’ comments on Barrick’s earnings, as well as price target and rating changes, visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com)
On the production side, the Company announced quarterly gold ounces of 1.78 million – which also missed the forecasts of most analysts. Moreover, Barrick Gold reduced the high-end of its full-year production guidance from 7.8 to 7.5 million ounces and raised its cash cost estimate to $575-$585 from $550-$575 per ounce.
Many research analysts also raised concerns about Barrick’s Pascua Lama gold project – located on the border of Chile and Argentina – after the Company raised its capital expenditures estimate on the project to $8.0-$8.5 billion from $7.5-$8.0 billion and delayed the start of production to the second half of 2014 from mid-2014.
GMP Securities analyst George Albino noted that the Pascua Lama capex increase was particularly worrisome because Barrick had already increased its original capex forecast for the project by 50% earlier this year.
The sell-off in shares of ABX had a significant impact on the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX), of which it is the largest component. While several other widely-traded gold stocks moved higher this afternoon – including Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM) and Goldcorp (GG) – the GDX nonetheless remained lower by $0.66, or 1.3%, at $52.24 per share.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate