Doctors in Denmark Face Charges Due to False Brain Dead Diagnosis
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 1, 2012 6:08 PM EST
In Denmark, doctors at the Aarhus University Hospital are currently in a predicament after reportedly giving a false diagnosis to a patient.
Carina Melchior was proclaimed brain dead after a tragic car accident. Carina's family had to make the tormenting decision on donating her body organs as well as permitting the doctors to turn the respirator off.
The 19-year-old tragic car accident victim miraculously survived when her respirator was detached. In a documentary which was televised earlier this month, Bioedge.org reports around 1.7 million viewers witnessed the family's heartbreaking situation.
The doctors admitted their humiliation about what happened. Chief Medical Officer Claus Thomsen released a statement regarding the shocking incident: "We are overjoyed that the young woman survived and that she is moving on after the accident. But we made a mistake underway and made the family believe that their daughter and sister would die."
Now, Carina's family decided to press charges against the hospital for damages. "Those bandits in white coats gave up too quickly because they wanted an organ donor," Carina's father told the Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet. Adding more negative media hype to the hospital, one Danish tabloid exposed about another unnamed patient who was also mistakenly diagnosed brain dead back in 2002. As Aarhus University Hospital thoroughly investigates both incidents, the hospital firmly confirmed that procedures in the earlier case were accurately followed.
Carina Melchior's shocking incident resulted to organ donation chaos where around 500 people instantly withdraw their names on the list of Denmark's organ donor. With the organ donation issue at stake, the hospital established a new course of action where relatives of the patient will only be asked about organ donation if treatment options are no longer available. Aarhus University Hospital insisted that "there was no risk of a false diagnosis of brain death."
In the mean time, Carina Melchior goes through intense rehabilitation for a full recovery. Check out the YouTube video link for Carina Melchior's unbelievable survival story.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate