Report: Australia Needs to Import 100 Million Tonnes of Carbon Abatement in 2020 to Meet GHG Reduction Targets
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 1, 2012 12:12 PM EST
A report released by the federal government on Thursday estimated that Australia would need to import 100 million tonnes of carbon abatement to meet the country's greenhouse gas reduction targets.
Australia aims to reduce by 5 per cent its emissions from 2000 levels and put in place a $23 per tonne carbon tax in July 2012 to help reach that goal. The tax is collected from the top 300 polluters which would eventually be allowed to link up with the European carbon market from 2015 wherein the emitters could use European allowance for up to 50 per cent of their carbon liabilities while European firms could use their Australian allowance by 2018.
The report said the carbon tax would help Australia cut down its emissions to 537 million tonnes from the average of 575 million tonnes logged between 2008 and 2012. It forecast that the country's GHG emissions would further decline to 396 million tonnes by 2030, of which 235 million tonnes of abatement would be sourced from overseas.
Australia relies on coal-fired power plants to generate about 80 per cent of the country's domestic electricity requirements. It is also blamed for causing global warning because Australia is a major coal exporter.
Power generation was responsible for 34 per cent of Australia's total emissions in 2011, followed by burning fuel at 17 per cent, transport 15 per cent and agriculture 14 per cent.
On a per capita basis, the report projects each Aussie's GHG emissions would fall down to 13 tonnes by 2030 from the current 25 tonnes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China