Gold and Silver Find Support Amid Weak Economic Data
By Eric McWhinnie | November 1, 2012 6:40 AM EST
Both precious metals closed higher in the face of weak economic data. The Chicago Purchasing Managers Index for October edged slightly higher to 49.9, but still remains in contraction territory. It also missed estimates for the third consecutive month. Meanwhile, the employment index fell to 50.3 from 52.0, representing the lowest reading in 33 months.
Gold and silver logged a loss for the month, but are coming off one of their best quarters in recent years. In October, gold declined 3.1 percent, while silver fell 6.5 percent. In the third quarter, gold and silver posted their best three-month performance since 2010.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained 0.50 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) increased 0.55 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) surged 7.4 percent and 3.6 percent, respectively. Silver names such as Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) and Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) both jumped more than 2.5 percent.
Investor Insight: Will Central Banks Hit an Amex Gold Limit?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet