Gold Prices Climb, U.S. Markets Reopen after Sandy
By jturbin | November 1, 2012 2:31 AM EST
GOLD PRICE NEWS – The gold price advanced modestly on Wednesday alongside other commodities as U.S. financial markets reopened following two days of closures due to Hurricane Sandy. The spot price of gold rose as much as $12.21, or 0.7%, to $1,722.47 per ounce after consolidating near $1,710 earlier this week in electronic trading. Gold prices were buoyed this morning in part by moderate weakness in the U.S. dollar, which fell 0.4% against a basket of foreign currencies.
Silver outperformed the price of gold this morning, as it jumped $0.53, or 1.7%, to $32.34 per ounce. Among other precious metals, platinum futures added 1.2% to $1,572.30 per ounce while palladium climbed 1.8% to $607.10 per ounce. As for cyclical commodities, copper futures rose 0.5% to $3.53 per pound and crude oil advanced by 0.8% to $86.32 per barrel.
Gold stocks also fared better than the yellow metal on Wednesday, as the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) moved up by $1.09, or 2.1%, to $52.33 per share. Two of the best performing GDX components were Barrick Gold (ABX) and Eldorado Gold (EGO) – which traded higher by 2.8% to $40.26 and by 4.2% to $14.54 per share, respectively.
(Check out GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for gold price predictions and analysis on over 90 gold and silver stocks)
The broader market indices trailed the gold sector, as the Dow Jones Industrial Average relinquished its earlier 0.5% gain and dipped 10.96 points, or 0.1%, to 13,096.25.
Looking ahead to the remainder of the week, many market strategists expect trading volumes to be light as many individuals in the financial world remain unable to commute to their offices in New York City due to the subway system remaining closed. City officials have yet to say when the subway system may reopen, but it is unlikely to be before Friday.
Despite the substantial damage caused by Hurricane Sandy, the U.S. Labor Department affirmed that it will release the highly-anticipated October non-farm payrolls report on Friday. The closely-followed employment data is likely to serve as a key catalyst for both the gold price and the broader financial markets.
Nevertheless, Mitsui Precious Metals analyst David Jollie wrote in a note to clients today that he sees the price of gold remaining range-bound in the near term due to uncertainty ahead of next week’s U.S. presidential election. “People are not keen to add risk to their portfolios ahead of that,” Jollie contended.
Analysts at UBS noted in their latest market report that the recent stabilization in gold prices above $1,700 per ounce ounce has been a constructive development ahead of a resumption of the yellow metal’s rally that occurred between June and September. However, UBS cautioned that “There are those who are still looking for another dip, perhaps one that offers an opportunity to jump in sub-$1700, between now and year-end…The clear downtrend from earlier in the month has now been replaced by this consolidation phase. But the possibility of another attempt on the downside certainly cannot be ruled out, especially with U.S. nonfarm payrolls coming up and the U.S. elections looming.”
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports