Manchester United Scouts Paying Close Attention to German International – Report
By Adrian Back | October 31, 2012 10:53 PM EST
Manchester United are keeping a close eye on the progress of Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Lars Bender after a string of impressive performances for club and country.
Joachim Loew handed Bender his first international cap just over a year ago when he came on as a substitute against Poland and he has gone on to impress, making numerous appearances at Euro 2012.
Despite normally being deployed in the centre of midfield he was used as a right-back throughout the European Championships in the summer and even scored when playing in that position in the final group game against Denmark.
Bender has started eight games for Leverkusen this season, particularly impressing last weekend as he helped the side gain a 2-1 win over bitter rivals Bayern Munich, inflicting a first defeat on Jupp Heynckes' team this season.
The Mail has reported that Bayern Munich attempted to sign Bender in the summer, but Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voeller did not want to let one of his star players join their great rivals.
The 23-year-old has played more than 100 games for Leverkusen since joining from 1860 Munich in the summer of 2009, having first come to prominence when helping the Germany Under-19 side with the 2008 European Championships.
Manchester United have continually been linked with numerous midfielders after a summer in which many people questioned why Sir Alex Ferguson spent the majority of his transfer fund on improving his forward options by signing Robin van Persie.
Ferguson does have a number of options in midfield, however, with Paul Scholes coming to the end of a long and successful career it is likely that Manchester United will look to buy either in January or at the end of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS