Manchester United Scouts Paying Close Attention to German International – Report
By Adrian Back | October 31, 2012 10:53 PM EST
Manchester United are keeping a close eye on the progress of Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Lars Bender after a string of impressive performances for club and country.
Joachim Loew handed Bender his first international cap just over a year ago when he came on as a substitute against Poland and he has gone on to impress, making numerous appearances at Euro 2012.
Despite normally being deployed in the centre of midfield he was used as a right-back throughout the European Championships in the summer and even scored when playing in that position in the final group game against Denmark.
Bender has started eight games for Leverkusen this season, particularly impressing last weekend as he helped the side gain a 2-1 win over bitter rivals Bayern Munich, inflicting a first defeat on Jupp Heynckes' team this season.
The Mail has reported that Bayern Munich attempted to sign Bender in the summer, but Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voeller did not want to let one of his star players join their great rivals.
The 23-year-old has played more than 100 games for Leverkusen since joining from 1860 Munich in the summer of 2009, having first come to prominence when helping the Germany Under-19 side with the 2008 European Championships.
Manchester United have continually been linked with numerous midfielders after a summer in which many people questioned why Sir Alex Ferguson spent the majority of his transfer fund on improving his forward options by signing Robin van Persie.
Ferguson does have a number of options in midfield, however, with Paul Scholes coming to the end of a long and successful career it is likely that Manchester United will look to buy either in January or at the end of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions