Manchester United Scouts Paying Close Attention to German International – Report
By Adrian Back | October 31, 2012 10:53 PM EST
Manchester United are keeping a close eye on the progress of Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Lars Bender after a string of impressive performances for club and country.
Joachim Loew handed Bender his first international cap just over a year ago when he came on as a substitute against Poland and he has gone on to impress, making numerous appearances at Euro 2012.
Despite normally being deployed in the centre of midfield he was used as a right-back throughout the European Championships in the summer and even scored when playing in that position in the final group game against Denmark.
Bender has started eight games for Leverkusen this season, particularly impressing last weekend as he helped the side gain a 2-1 win over bitter rivals Bayern Munich, inflicting a first defeat on Jupp Heynckes' team this season.
The Mail has reported that Bayern Munich attempted to sign Bender in the summer, but Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voeller did not want to let one of his star players join their great rivals.
The 23-year-old has played more than 100 games for Leverkusen since joining from 1860 Munich in the summer of 2009, having first come to prominence when helping the Germany Under-19 side with the 2008 European Championships.
Manchester United have continually been linked with numerous midfielders after a summer in which many people questioned why Sir Alex Ferguson spent the majority of his transfer fund on improving his forward options by signing Robin van Persie.
Ferguson does have a number of options in midfield, however, with Paul Scholes coming to the end of a long and successful career it is likely that Manchester United will look to buy either in January or at the end of the season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide