Lance Armstrong Beats Jimmy Savile in Kent Effigy Burning Ritual
By Hannah Osborne | October 31, 2012 9:33 PM EST
An effigy of Lance Armstrong will be burned by the famous Edenbridge Bonfire Society in Kent on 3 November, after being picked as this year's 'Celebrity Guy.'
Armstrong, the alleged cycling drugs cheat who was recently stripped of his seven Tour de France championships, was chosen over a number of celebrities and politicians, including Jimmy Savile and George Osborne.
Betting shop William Hill were taking wagers on which celebrity would be picked for this year's event, which takes place in Edenbridge, 12 miles from Royal Tunbridge Wells.
The night's events begin at around 6.30pm, when a procession will go through the town. Two guys, one traditional Guy Fawkes, who led the Gunpowder Plot in 1605, to blow up Parliament and a modern celebrity, will then be set alight.
Jon Mitchell, from the society, said Armstrong had been a leader in the betting, but that a lot of people had suggested shamed TV presenter Savile and beleaguered Chancellor Osborne.
Yesterday, the society said: "Celebrity Guy Latest: Lance Armstrong finished the betting at 15/8 from an original 2/1."
William Hill spokesman Mark Young added: "Lance Armstrong is certainly the biggest villain in sport, with fans across the globe feeling cheated by a man who was thought to be whiter than white."
Armstrong became embroiled in a cheating scandal after it was alleged he used performance enhancing drugs to win cycling races. He has since been stripped of his seven Tour de France titles.
Mitchell added that there has been some celebrity interest in the event, which dates back to the 1930s.
He said that in 2006, flamboyant racing pundit John McCririck was picked as the Celebrity Guy, and has since become quite involved in the process.
"Over the past few years, John McCririck has come up with suggestions [for which celebrity to burn]. One year he suggested Cliff Richard, and another he said 'Andy Murray and that awful mother of his'," he said.
Last year's Celebrity Guy was Manchester City footballer Mario Balotelli because he had recently had an accident with fireworks at his home.
Other previous celebrities include Wayne Rooney, Gordon Brown, Anne Robinson, Saddam Hussein and Tony Blair.
The society is a non-profit organisation and money raised from collections on the night is donated to "local worthy causes". In recent years, the event has generated almost £50,000 for charity.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones