Chelsea v Manchester United: Capital One Cup, Where to Watch Live, Preview and Teams
By Vishnuprasad S | October 31, 2012 7:33 PM EST
Chelsea welcome Manchester United to Stamford Bridge in the biggest fixture of the fourth round of the Capital One Cup, just three days after their thrilling Premier League clash.
Where to Watch Live
Kick-off is set for 7.45 pm GMT. Live coverage will be available on Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports HD 1 and Sky Sports 3D. Watch highlights of the game on The League Cup Show on BBC One at 11.15pm.
The Blues are still at the top of the Premier League, leading United and Manchester City by a point, despite their controversial defeat at the weekend, which saw red cards and erroneous offside decisions help the Red Devils post a 3-2 victory at Stamford Bridge - their first win at the venue in over 10 years.
Chelsea have now lost four of their last five meetings with United. Roberto Di Matteo's side are also on a two-match losing streak, after Shakhtar Donetsk beat them 2-1 in Ukraine a week ago, putting the Blues' Champions League title defence in the balance. On the other hand, Sir Alex Ferguson's side are now on a five-match winning streak but, even after the weekend's success, United have only triumphed in just two of their last 13 trips to Stamford Bridge.
Both sides will make a host of changes to their line-ups for this tie as Premier League games resume at the weekend and hence, the match is likely to be a calmer affair than the previous one. United beat Newcastle United 2-1 in September to qualify for the fourth round, while Chelsea hammered Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers 6-0.
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): L L W W W
- Last result: Chelsea 2 - 3 Manchester United
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): W W W W W
- Last Result: Chelsea 2 - 3 Manchester United
Chelsea: Captain John Terry, Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres are all banned for this match, while Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole are injured. Most of these players would have missed the game anyway as Di Matteo is expected to rotate the squad like he did against Wolves in the previous round.
It is also understood that at least two among the attacking trio of Juan Mata, Eden Hazard and Oscar are likely to be rested. Meanwhile, Daniel Sturridge, Ryan Bertrand, Cesar Azpilicueta, Victor Moses, Oriol Romeu, Lucas Piazon and Marko Marin are all set to feature.
Manchester United: Shinji Kagawa is facing a short spell on the sidelines with a knee injury picked up against Sporting Braga last week. Meanwhile, this game has come a little too soon for Chris Smalling, who has returned to training after recovering from a broken metatarsal, but a chance against Arsenal next week looks possible for the defender. Captain Nemanja Vidic and Phil Jones remain sidelined.
With the league fixture against the old rivals Gunners set for this weekend, Ferguson is expected to make wholesale changes to the squad that started three days ago. The first-choice back four of Rafael, Rio Ferdinand, Jonny Evans and Patrice Evra are expected make way for youngsters Marnick Vermijil, Scott Wootton, Michael Keane and summer signing Alexander Buttner.
Paul Scholes, Anderson, Darren Fletcher, Ryan Giggs, Nick Powell and Jesse Lingard are all in contention for the midfield spots. Nani is set to start on the right wing, while Giggs will compete with youngster Robbie Brady for the other flank. Up front, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney will surely be rested, opening up opportunities for Danny Welbeck and Chicharito. Federico Macheda and new signing Angelo Henriquez might also make an appearance at some point in the game.
Possible Starting Line-ups:
Chelsea (4-2-3-1): Turnbull; Azpilicueta, Cahill, Luiz, Bertrand; Romeu, Mikel; Moses, Piazon, Marin; Sturridge
Manchester United (4-5-1): Lindegaard; Vermijl, Wootton, M Keane, Buttner; Nani, Fletcher, Scholes, Anderson, Giggs; Welbeck
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date