Telenoid Is Here To Feel Caller's Presence
By Nagesh Narayana | August 2, 2010 7:37 AM EST
Move over videoconferencing, here comes tele-replica of the person in a meeting room in your office, reflecting the gestures and actions of the caller.
Wherever the honcho may be -- probably in a faraway place -- the robot will make you feel his presence near you. Named Telenoid R1, the robot was developed by a group of Osaka University researchers in association with the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute.
Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro of Osaka University who has created the Telenoid R1 robot says it "transmits the presence" of the caller. The robot is 31 inches long and weighs 11 pounds and looks like Casper the friendly ghost.
Essentially, the robot will repeat the speech and gestures sent by video-phone by the distant caller. A sensor from the caller's end will transmit sounds and actions of head, face and arms to a robot at the receiver's end to create the feeling of the caller's presence.
In a couple of demonstrations, a grandchild's call to his grandfather was replicated and a doctor's question to an old man was repeated by the robot with reflecting the same gestures.
Developed to cater the aging population of Japan, the robot is likely to provide them company. However, the developers have preferred not to provide any hair to the robot to make it look neither young nor old and keep it gender-neutral.
The price tag will be in the range of 700,000 yen ($8,090) for retail sale and 3 million yen ($34,675) for research purposes, said media reports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build