Organic Food Market in Australia Grows to $300M
By Vittorio Hernandez | October 30, 2012 8:35 AM EST
The growth was caused by more Aussies buying organic produce and products. More than 1 million Australian regularly purchase organically grown products, with three out of four purchases done at large supermarket chains.
As of May, 65 per cent of adult Australian bought at least one organic product, up from 40 per cent in 2008.
However, as a percentage of total retail market value, the organic market is only a miniscule 1 per cent, although it has moved from a fringe cottage industry into the mainstream.
The large volume of sales has resulted in farmgate value of organic produce rising 34.7 per cent over the past two years. The report said that as Australia's organic industry continues to move towards maturity the average size of organic farms is also expanding.
Among organic produce, vegetable sales declined compared to two years ago, but beef farmgate sales jumped 111 per cent and lamb 64 per cent. Organic milk also registered strong sales growth even if its price tag is twice or thrice that of ordinary milk.
As a result, industry produce of organic milk has gone up to almost $30 million from $17 million in 2010.
Andre Leu, chairman of the Organic Federation of Australia, said buyers of organic items were not mainly rich people contrary to popular belief, but ordinary families.
"We find people become organic consumers when they become parents and they suddenly become very concerned about what goes into their children. In places like Germany it's almost impossible to buy non-organic baby food," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Mr Leu.
Woolworths, Australia's largest supermarket, has 400 organic items on its shelves in all its stores across the country, unlike before when these goods were available only in outlets in inner-city areas characterized by higher income of residents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- El Pollo Loco Shareprice Up 33% on 1st Day of Trading
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- 93% of Mining Leaders See Extremely Low or Zero Growth Prospect for Industry in Next 1-2 Years; No Immediate Plans by BHP for Olympic Dam Expansion
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points