Organic Food Market in Australia Grows to $300M
By Vittorio Hernandez | October 30, 2012 8:35 AM EST
The growth was caused by more Aussies buying organic produce and products. More than 1 million Australian regularly purchase organically grown products, with three out of four purchases done at large supermarket chains.
As of May, 65 per cent of adult Australian bought at least one organic product, up from 40 per cent in 2008.
However, as a percentage of total retail market value, the organic market is only a miniscule 1 per cent, although it has moved from a fringe cottage industry into the mainstream.
The large volume of sales has resulted in farmgate value of organic produce rising 34.7 per cent over the past two years. The report said that as Australia's organic industry continues to move towards maturity the average size of organic farms is also expanding.
Among organic produce, vegetable sales declined compared to two years ago, but beef farmgate sales jumped 111 per cent and lamb 64 per cent. Organic milk also registered strong sales growth even if its price tag is twice or thrice that of ordinary milk.
As a result, industry produce of organic milk has gone up to almost $30 million from $17 million in 2010.
Andre Leu, chairman of the Organic Federation of Australia, said buyers of organic items were not mainly rich people contrary to popular belief, but ordinary families.
"We find people become organic consumers when they become parents and they suddenly become very concerned about what goes into their children. In places like Germany it's almost impossible to buy non-organic baby food," The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Mr Leu.
Woolworths, Australia's largest supermarket, has 400 organic items on its shelves in all its stores across the country, unlike before when these goods were available only in outlets in inner-city areas characterized by higher income of residents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales