Nomura returns second quarter profit on fixed income gains
October 29, 2012 5:28 PM EST
Nomura Holdings <8604.T>, Japan's largest investment bank, posted its fourth straight quarterly profit on Monday as an upswing in its fixed income operations helped it counter weak equity markets and the fallout from an insider trading probe.
Nomura, whose top competitor in Japan is Daiwa Securities Group <8601.T>, reported a net profit of 2.81 billion yen (21.9 million pounds) for the July-September second quarter, against a loss of 46.09 billion yen in the same period last year. The consensus of eight analysts was for a profit of 5.7 billion yen.
Nomura's results were supported by an upswing in bond trading and other fixed income products, a major factor boosting quarterly earnings at U.S. banks including Morgan Stanley
That helped offset the drag from Japan's sluggish stock market. The benchmark Nikkei average <.N225> fell 1.5 percent during July-September, while turnover on the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange slumped 12 percent from April-June.
Nomura also lost underwriting business due to an insider trading scandal that triggered a shake-up of top management. In the most high-profile case, it was relegated to a more junior role on the $8.5 billion (5.2 billion pounds) initial public offering of Japan Airlines <9201.T>, the world's second-largest IPO of 2012.
Following a review under newly appointed Chief Executive Koji Nagai, the company announced plans in late August to chop an additional $1 billion in costs in the second major restructuring since it embarked on an overseas expansion through the acquisition of parts of Lehman Brothers in 2008.
(Reporting by Nathan Layne; Editing by Neil Fullick)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon