Vodafone Australia Foregoes 500 Jobs
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 29, 2012 5:23 PM EST
Effective next month December, 500 job posts will have to go at Vodafone Hutchison Australia as the company sizes up what could still be managed and saved from the firm amid a dropping market share.
The reduction represents 10 per cent of the telco's 5,000 manpower all over Australia.
"Vodafone will be a leaner, more effective business that is completely focused on what our customers want now and for the long term," Chief Executive Bill Morrow said in a statement, noting that investment priorities are more geared in creating a more reliable data network and upgraded IT systems.
A joint venture between British mobile phone giant Vodafone Group and Hong Kong's Hutchison Telecommunications (Australia), Vodafone Australia operates the brands Vodafone, 3 and Crazy John's. It is Australia's third-ranked mobile phone company.
The cost-cutting measures, according to The Australian Financial Review, was more in exchange of its major shareholders' plans to put in more funds into the joint venture that will fund its planned network upgrades as well as the rollout of its 4G services.
"It is vital that we simplify the business to be efficient and to enable growth in the long term. We need to prioritise every dollar and internal action to count toward an improved customer experience and these changes are designed to deliver just this," Mr Morrow said.
Vodafone said it has spent A$1 billion (US$1.04 billion) on network upgrades. It also has further plants of investing another A$700 million by the end of calendar 2012.
Vodafone's total customer base reduced to 6.8 million, when it lost 178,000 customers in the first half of its 2012 financial year to Australia's two largest telecommunications providers, Telstra Corp. and SingTel's Optus. It likewise lost $131 million in revenues in the same period in review.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report