Has The Oldest Facebook User Been Dethroned By This 105-Year-Old Woman?
By Eric Brown | October 26, 2012 1:15 PM EST
Though Facebook was founded as an exclusive club for college students, years after its inception, people of nearly every age are liking posts and sharing content with their friends. Only one person, however, can officially be the oldest person on Facebook, and the contest for that title seems to be heating up.
Officially, Florence Detlor is the oldest Facebook user. The 101-year-old California resident was named Facebook’s oldest user in August, earning her a visit to Facebook’s Palo Alto, Calif. headquarters to meet founder Mark Zuckerberg and COO Sheryl Sandberg.
According to ABC News, Detlor has received hundreds of messages and friend requests each day since she was named Facebook’s oldest user. You can even send her one yourself.
According to another contender, however, Detlor is far from the oldest user on Facebook. That honor might just belong to New Mexico’s Maria "Mary" Colunia Segura-Metzgar.
Segura-Metzgar just turned 105 earlier in the week and also keeps an active Facebook account. However, there’s a problem: according to her official profile, Segura-Metzgar is 102, not 105.
According to her 60-year-old grandson Anthony Segura, the problem arose when he attempted to sign his grandmother up for Facebook earlier in the year. Apparently, Facebook would not accept Segura-Metzgar’s real birthday as valid.
"I tried to sign her up on Facebook a few months ago,, but it wouldn't accept her birth date," Segura told ABCNews.com today. "Then I tried again and just put in 101 and it accepted it for the timeline, even though she was 104."
"Now on Facebook it says she's 102 when, in reality, she's 105," he said.
Now, Segura is attempting to have his grandmother’s status as the oldest Facebook user officially recognized. But Facebook has not responded officially.
Segura says his primary motive in signing his grandmother up for Facebook wasn’t to win her an award, but to make sure her family could always stay in touch.
"She's still very sharp and likes to tell stories of her life, and we wanted to be able to record her life as a legacy," said Segura. "We're a very large family and there's a lot of stories that a lot of the family doesn't know and we wanted to be able to capture those. Since 'Timeline' came out we thought it was a good idea to put those [stories] on Facebook to have a timeline of her life."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid