Nike Lining Up McIlroy?
By Golf 365 | October 24, 2012 5:57 PM EST
If recent reports are to be believed, Rory McIlroy might be about to sign a highly lucrative sponsorship deal with Nike.
The two-time major champion's current contract with Titleist/Footjoy expires at the end of the year, making his signature one of the most sought after in the business.
And the Irish Times has reported that the 23-year-old could be set to join Tiger Woods at Nike for a deal that could be worth up to $250 million (€192m) over 10 years - similar to the deal that Woods currently has.
Approached for comment, McIlroy's agent, Conor Ridge of Horizon Sports Management, did not confirm or deny the report.
"As you are aware, Rory is under contract with Titleist. It is our policy not to pass comment regarding any industry speculation related to any of our players," said Ridge.
Nike was recently in the news when it announced that it would be severing ties with disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong.
With Armstrong on the way out and Woods turning 37 in December, the sports equipment and apparel giant could be looking to McIlroy as the face of the future.
McIlroy was also asked about the deal in Shanghai, where he will tee off in the BMW Masters on Thursday.
"These rumours have been going around for years and it seems to always come up at this time of the year," McIlroy told AFP at Lake Malaren Golf Club.
"I leave it up to Conor to sort out as it leaves me to concentrate on my golf.
"That's all I can do and besides I have enough to think about trying to get the ball in the hole.
"Also I've got a very important end to my season coming up and I need to concentrate myself fully on that goal."
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money