Nike Lining Up McIlroy?
By Golf 365 | October 24, 2012 5:57 PM EST
If recent reports are to be believed, Rory McIlroy might be about to sign a highly lucrative sponsorship deal with Nike.
The two-time major champion's current contract with Titleist/Footjoy expires at the end of the year, making his signature one of the most sought after in the business.
And the Irish Times has reported that the 23-year-old could be set to join Tiger Woods at Nike for a deal that could be worth up to $250 million (€192m) over 10 years - similar to the deal that Woods currently has.
Approached for comment, McIlroy's agent, Conor Ridge of Horizon Sports Management, did not confirm or deny the report.
"As you are aware, Rory is under contract with Titleist. It is our policy not to pass comment regarding any industry speculation related to any of our players," said Ridge.
Nike was recently in the news when it announced that it would be severing ties with disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong.
With Armstrong on the way out and Woods turning 37 in December, the sports equipment and apparel giant could be looking to McIlroy as the face of the future.
McIlroy was also asked about the deal in Shanghai, where he will tee off in the BMW Masters on Thursday.
"These rumours have been going around for years and it seems to always come up at this time of the year," McIlroy told AFP at Lake Malaren Golf Club.
"I leave it up to Conor to sort out as it leaves me to concentrate on my golf.
"That's all I can do and besides I have enough to think about trying to get the ball in the hole.
"Also I've got a very important end to my season coming up and I need to concentrate myself fully on that goal."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown