Nike Lining Up McIlroy?
By Golf 365 | October 24, 2012 5:57 PM EST
If recent reports are to be believed, Rory McIlroy might be about to sign a highly lucrative sponsorship deal with Nike.
The two-time major champion's current contract with Titleist/Footjoy expires at the end of the year, making his signature one of the most sought after in the business.
And the Irish Times has reported that the 23-year-old could be set to join Tiger Woods at Nike for a deal that could be worth up to $250 million (€192m) over 10 years - similar to the deal that Woods currently has.
Approached for comment, McIlroy's agent, Conor Ridge of Horizon Sports Management, did not confirm or deny the report.
"As you are aware, Rory is under contract with Titleist. It is our policy not to pass comment regarding any industry speculation related to any of our players," said Ridge.
Nike was recently in the news when it announced that it would be severing ties with disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong.
With Armstrong on the way out and Woods turning 37 in December, the sports equipment and apparel giant could be looking to McIlroy as the face of the future.
McIlroy was also asked about the deal in Shanghai, where he will tee off in the BMW Masters on Thursday.
"These rumours have been going around for years and it seems to always come up at this time of the year," McIlroy told AFP at Lake Malaren Golf Club.
"I leave it up to Conor to sort out as it leaves me to concentrate on my golf.
"That's all I can do and besides I have enough to think about trying to get the ball in the hole.
"Also I've got a very important end to my season coming up and I need to concentrate myself fully on that goal."
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage