Nike Lining Up McIlroy?
By Golf 365 | October 24, 2012 5:57 PM EST
If recent reports are to be believed, Rory McIlroy might be about to sign a highly lucrative sponsorship deal with Nike.
The two-time major champion's current contract with Titleist/Footjoy expires at the end of the year, making his signature one of the most sought after in the business.
And the Irish Times has reported that the 23-year-old could be set to join Tiger Woods at Nike for a deal that could be worth up to $250 million (€192m) over 10 years - similar to the deal that Woods currently has.
Approached for comment, McIlroy's agent, Conor Ridge of Horizon Sports Management, did not confirm or deny the report.
"As you are aware, Rory is under contract with Titleist. It is our policy not to pass comment regarding any industry speculation related to any of our players," said Ridge.
Nike was recently in the news when it announced that it would be severing ties with disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong.
With Armstrong on the way out and Woods turning 37 in December, the sports equipment and apparel giant could be looking to McIlroy as the face of the future.
McIlroy was also asked about the deal in Shanghai, where he will tee off in the BMW Masters on Thursday.
"These rumours have been going around for years and it seems to always come up at this time of the year," McIlroy told AFP at Lake Malaren Golf Club.
"I leave it up to Conor to sort out as it leaves me to concentrate on my golf.
"That's all I can do and besides I have enough to think about trying to get the ball in the hole.
"Also I've got a very important end to my season coming up and I need to concentrate myself fully on that goal."
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery