New Zealand Allows Young Filipino Tourists to Work for One Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | October 24, 2012 9:29 AM EST
Young Filipino tourists in the age bracket 18 to 30 could soon work legally in New Zealand for 12 months under a working holiday agreement which the Philippines and New Zealand governments signed on Tuesday.
The bilateral deal, one of the agreements inked between Wellington and Manila, is reciprocal. Young Kiwis who will visit the Philippines as tourists could also work in the Asian country legally for 12 months.
However, the condition is that the maximum period they could work for a given employer or study is three months. The working holiday scheme is similar to other deals that New Zealand has signed with 36 other nations.
The deal is a boost for Filipinos, who often illegally leave the country disguised as tourists but often look for work overseas in a bid to move out of poverty. Because of the lure of foreign employment, an estimated 10 million Filipinos are employed overseas as contract workers or have permanently migrated to other nations such as the U.S, Canada, Australia, Japan and Italy.
English-speaking nations are the preference of Filipino workers, but in New Zealand, Filipinos are estimated to be around 35,000 only.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino III and New Zealand Prime Minister John Key signed the three agreements. The two other deals are over geothermal energy cooperation and defense cooperation.
Mr Key also offered $5 million assistance for the development of the Philippine dairy industry in the next five years. About 99 per cent of the Philippine dairy consumption is imported, and the country is the fourth largest dairy export market of New Zealand.
Next on Mr Aquino's stop is Canberra, Australia.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar