The Android Open Kang Project team recently announced the release of AOKP Jelly Bean Build 5 based on Android 4.1.2 from AOSP. The team has listed a number of new features the Jelly Bean build brings:
a) Custom NavBar for tablets
b) NavBar widgets are back from ICS
c) Highly customisable Lockscreen Ring targets with a shiny new editor ROMControl
d) Alternate default app picker
e) Menu User Interface Overflow toggle
f) Option to disable vibration for Notification expansion
g) RAM Bar in the Recents panel
h) Timeout and instant lock options for Slide lock
i) Several new icons by Kwes
j) VPN Traffic amount in human readable format
The team cautions that those not coming from AOKP Build 4 may have to reset their Lockscreen targets since certain critical codes have been changed.
The AOKP Jelly Bean Build 5 is now available for the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 with model number I9300. Galaxy S3 users, who wish to upgrade their devices with the latest build, may follow the tutorial below. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device while installation.
a) Users are advised to install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3.
b) Ensure that you have enabled the USB Debugging mode.
c) The battery of your phone should have above 80 per cent of charge.
d) Back up all your important data before proceeding as this procedure may wipe everything.
e) You should have a rooted phone and ClockworkMod recovery should be installed on your phone.
f) This AOKP Jelly Bean Build 5 firmware only works on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 not on any other variant. Verify the model number of your device before proceeding.
Steps to install AOKP Build 5 on Samsung Galaxy S3
1) Download AOKP Jelly Bean Build 5 for Galaxy S3 to your computer and extract its contents
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect your Galaxy S3 to the computer using the USB cable and copy both the downloaded files to the SDcard of your phone
4) Unplug the phone from the computer and switch it off. Now boot into CWM recovery while pressing Volume Up, Home and Power button together. Press the Volume Up button to enter into the CWM recovery
5) In the recovery mode the first thing you should do is Wipe data/Factory reset. Select that to confirm the action
Note: Those who are coming from an older AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 ROM may skip preceding step.
6) Scroll down to install zip from SD card and using the power button select it
7) Select choose zip from SD card and navigate to the Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean ROM zip file. Once again use the power to select it and confirm installation
8) Once the ROM is installed, select again choose zip from SD card and browse to the Google apps package and confirm installation
9) Upon completion of the installation process, return to the main recovery menu and select Reboot system now
10) The phone will now perform its first boot process under AOKP Jelly Bean Build 5. This step should take about five minutes to complete. You will get to see the new AOKP Android 4.1.2 Build 5 home screen once the boot process is over
Note: If the first boot process takes too long to complete, then remove the battery of the phone and after five seconds re-insert it. Repeat the tutorial from step 4.
The AOKP Jelly Bean Build 5 based on Android 4.1.2 is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. You can verify the firmware version by heading to Settings>> About Phone.
[Source: Android Geeks]
To contact the editor, e-mail: