Update Galaxy S3 I9300. Photo: Google
Galaxy S3 I9300 users in France finally get some relief, thanks to the release of XXDLJ2 ROM based Android 4.1.1 firmware update over Samsung KIES. Another pleasant surprise for S3 users is that the firmware reportedly supports most of the countries without issues.
The full list of countries or regions supported by the firmware includes Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom. Samsung has been releasing software updates in phases, although the Galaxy S3 gets the maximum number of custom ROMs and official updates as it is Samsung's flagship smartphone. However, there is still no word on the release of official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for Samsung devices.
Key Points to Note
- XXDLJ2 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable only to the international version Galaxy S3 I9300 model and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important personal data and settings on your phone to avoid data loss while installing the XXDLJ2 based Jelly Bean update.
- As the ROM is an official release, you will lose root access soon after installing the Jelly Bean update. You need to root your phone once again to regain full system access and be able to install root-based apps.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the official firmware update. Users are cautioned to proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development and check the USB debugging option. This feature allows USB connectivity for your Android phone with the computer.
- Make sure that your phone battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the XXALJ2 ROM or installing the official Android 4.1.1 firmware update.
- Ensure that your Galaxy S3 is factory unlocked and rooted, before proceeding with the ROM installation.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with XXDLJ2 ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.1 I9300XXDLJ2 ROM for Galaxy S3 on your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.1.1 update on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
Step 3 - Power off your phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until you see the construction Android robot icon with a triangle. Hit the Power button once again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect your phone to it while your phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If your phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will indicate yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step is time consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Choose the files needed to flash/install on your phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Hit the Phone button and choose the file named 'MODEM' Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Tap the CSC button and choose the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click PIT button and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if you chose a pit file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Click Start button in ODIN and the ROM installation process should begin. It should take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, your phone will reboot. When the home screen appears, disconnect your device from the computer.
XXDLJ2 based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware update is now successfully installed on your Galaxy S3 I9300. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: