BP Starts Building $20-M Gas Facility in Adelaide
By Vittorio Hernandez | October 23, 2012 9:56 AM EST
BP has started the construction of its $20 million facility at Largs North in Adelaide. It is the first phase of the oil and gas giant's $41 million investment over the next five years.
With the 30 million litre tank, South Australia's security of diesel supply will be boosted, SA Energy Minister Tom Koutsantonis said on Monday. He said the state's growing mining sector is expected to need more energy with the opening of new mines and new shipment of iron ore.
The minister said the BP expansion would provide the reliability of supply when the new facility comes online in November 2013. He said the project is an indicator of BP's confidence in SA's mining industry.
Besides the new facility, BP is also developing an offshore exploration in the state to identify new oil and gas reserves.
While expanding in SA, the British energy firm and its joint venture with Russian oil operators sold for $61 billon its TNK-BP project to Rosneft, the state-owned oil giant in Russia. BP actually sold half of its stake in TNK-BP to Rosneft for $17.1 billion cash and a 12.84 per cent stake in the Russian oil group AAR. Rosneft will also purchase the other half of the joint venture from AAR for $28 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools