Rio Tinto’s Rare Pink Diamonds Create Mad Scramble
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 22, 2012 6:54 PM EST
Rio Tinto's rare pink and blue diamonds has attracted an unprecedented number of investor interest, particularly from Asian and European buyers, despite the world being in a massive fiscal crisis.
The global miner said on Monday that at the 2012 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender, which featured 56 single pink diamonds, including two red stones, as well as 19 blue diamonds from the company's Australian mine, it was noticed that the successful bidders came from both established and emerging markets, noting that each carat already fetched US$1 million.
"We have experienced extraordinary and unprecedented demand reflected in number of bidders, prices and the final result of the 2012 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender," Josephine Johnson, Argyle Pink Diamonds manager, told the AFP.
"There was very strong bidding - we have never had so many people disappointed. By way of example, one customer bid strongly on every single diamond and was unsuccessful."
The bidding process, which has always been kept confidential, received bidders from Australia, Europe, Japan and the United States, as well as China and India. Rio Tinto hinted that the 1.32 carat square radiant cut purplish pink diamond called Argyle Siren, the most valuable in the collection, could sell more than US$2.5 million when made into jewellery.
"We are close to a tipping point regarding price, demand and global awareness of Argyle pink diamonds," Ms Johnson said.
"There is a near-obsessive quest for this ultimate natural rarity."
Rio Tinto's Argyle mine gives off more than 90 per cent of the world's pink diamonds.
"These rare Argyle diamonds provide the escalating intrinsic value of an investment and are destined for the exclusive echelons of the world's most sophisticated collectors," said Jean-Marc Lieberherr, chief commercial officer of Rio Tinto Diamonds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6