Rio Tinto’s Rare Pink Diamonds Create Mad Scramble
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 22, 2012 6:54 PM EST
Rio Tinto's rare pink and blue diamonds has attracted an unprecedented number of investor interest, particularly from Asian and European buyers, despite the world being in a massive fiscal crisis.
The global miner said on Monday that at the 2012 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender, which featured 56 single pink diamonds, including two red stones, as well as 19 blue diamonds from the company's Australian mine, it was noticed that the successful bidders came from both established and emerging markets, noting that each carat already fetched US$1 million.
"We have experienced extraordinary and unprecedented demand reflected in number of bidders, prices and the final result of the 2012 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender," Josephine Johnson, Argyle Pink Diamonds manager, told the AFP.
"There was very strong bidding - we have never had so many people disappointed. By way of example, one customer bid strongly on every single diamond and was unsuccessful."
The bidding process, which has always been kept confidential, received bidders from Australia, Europe, Japan and the United States, as well as China and India. Rio Tinto hinted that the 1.32 carat square radiant cut purplish pink diamond called Argyle Siren, the most valuable in the collection, could sell more than US$2.5 million when made into jewellery.
"We are close to a tipping point regarding price, demand and global awareness of Argyle pink diamonds," Ms Johnson said.
"There is a near-obsessive quest for this ultimate natural rarity."
Rio Tinto's Argyle mine gives off more than 90 per cent of the world's pink diamonds.
"These rare Argyle diamonds provide the escalating intrinsic value of an investment and are destined for the exclusive echelons of the world's most sophisticated collectors," said Jean-Marc Lieberherr, chief commercial officer of Rio Tinto Diamonds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports