Rio Tinto’s Rare Pink Diamonds Create Mad Scramble
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | October 22, 2012 6:54 PM EST
Rio Tinto's rare pink and blue diamonds has attracted an unprecedented number of investor interest, particularly from Asian and European buyers, despite the world being in a massive fiscal crisis.
The global miner said on Monday that at the 2012 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender, which featured 56 single pink diamonds, including two red stones, as well as 19 blue diamonds from the company's Australian mine, it was noticed that the successful bidders came from both established and emerging markets, noting that each carat already fetched US$1 million.
"We have experienced extraordinary and unprecedented demand reflected in number of bidders, prices and the final result of the 2012 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender," Josephine Johnson, Argyle Pink Diamonds manager, told the AFP.
"There was very strong bidding - we have never had so many people disappointed. By way of example, one customer bid strongly on every single diamond and was unsuccessful."
The bidding process, which has always been kept confidential, received bidders from Australia, Europe, Japan and the United States, as well as China and India. Rio Tinto hinted that the 1.32 carat square radiant cut purplish pink diamond called Argyle Siren, the most valuable in the collection, could sell more than US$2.5 million when made into jewellery.
"We are close to a tipping point regarding price, demand and global awareness of Argyle pink diamonds," Ms Johnson said.
"There is a near-obsessive quest for this ultimate natural rarity."
Rio Tinto's Argyle mine gives off more than 90 per cent of the world's pink diamonds.
"These rare Argyle diamonds provide the escalating intrinsic value of an investment and are destined for the exclusive echelons of the world's most sophisticated collectors," said Jean-Marc Lieberherr, chief commercial officer of Rio Tinto Diamonds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU