No. 17 Texas Tech vs No. 23 TCU, Where to Watch Online, Preview, Betting Odds
October 21, 2012 6:11 AM EST
After toppling a Top 5 team last week the Texas Tech Red Raiders take on the TCU Horned Frogs Saturday at Amon Carter Stadium.
Quarterback Seth Doege’s 499 passing yards and six touchdowns bested leading Heisman Trophy candidate Geno Smith in Texas Tech’s 49-14 blowout of West Virginia.
Receiver Jace Amaro had five receptions for 156 yards and a score, and Darrin Moore had three touchdown catches, as the Red Raiders totaled 676 yards to West Virginia’s 408.
Smith was completing 75 percent of his passes this season, but the Texas Tech defense forced him to miss 26 of his 55 pass attempts on the day.
TCU comes in as one of three teams to make the first Bowl Championship Series rankings, but not the Associated Press poll, despite a convincing 49-21 win over Baylor last week.
The Horned Frogs took a 28-21 lead into the fourth quarter, and fired off three consecutive touchdowns, led by Trevone Boykin’s four touchdown passes and 289 yards.
TCU settled down after a 74-yard touchdown reception by Baylor receiver Terrence Williams in the first quarter for a 7-0 lead, and Boykin’s responded with a barrage of touchdown passes of 18, 15, and 43 yards.
Freshman running back B.J. Catalon stepped up for the second straight week with 79 rushing yards on 17 carries.
The Horned Frogs will miss defensive end Stansly Maponga who is out with foot and ankle injuries, and freshmen James McFarland and Josh Carraway are expected to replace him in the lineup.
TCU has moved several freshmen into the starting lineup this season, with Boykins replacing former starter Casey Pachall due to treatment for addiction, and Catalon stood in for top running backs in Waymon James and Matthew Tucker.
Both teams look to shoot up in the BCS standings and challenge Kansas State for the Big-12 regular season title.
Betting Odds: Texas Tech is favored by 2 points
Over/Under: 55 points
Prediction: TCU's freshman have done and admirable job up to this point in the season, completely exceeding any and all expectations, but the Red Raiders offense is on fire at this point in the season. Texas Tech should have a dominating victory.
Predicted Score: Texas Tech 33 , TCU 21
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown