No. 17 Texas Tech vs No. 23 TCU, Where to Watch Online, Preview, Betting Odds
October 21, 2012 6:11 AM EST
After toppling a Top 5 team last week the Texas Tech Red Raiders take on the TCU Horned Frogs Saturday at Amon Carter Stadium.
Quarterback Seth Doege’s 499 passing yards and six touchdowns bested leading Heisman Trophy candidate Geno Smith in Texas Tech’s 49-14 blowout of West Virginia.
Receiver Jace Amaro had five receptions for 156 yards and a score, and Darrin Moore had three touchdown catches, as the Red Raiders totaled 676 yards to West Virginia’s 408.
Smith was completing 75 percent of his passes this season, but the Texas Tech defense forced him to miss 26 of his 55 pass attempts on the day.
TCU comes in as one of three teams to make the first Bowl Championship Series rankings, but not the Associated Press poll, despite a convincing 49-21 win over Baylor last week.
The Horned Frogs took a 28-21 lead into the fourth quarter, and fired off three consecutive touchdowns, led by Trevone Boykin’s four touchdown passes and 289 yards.
TCU settled down after a 74-yard touchdown reception by Baylor receiver Terrence Williams in the first quarter for a 7-0 lead, and Boykin’s responded with a barrage of touchdown passes of 18, 15, and 43 yards.
Freshman running back B.J. Catalon stepped up for the second straight week with 79 rushing yards on 17 carries.
The Horned Frogs will miss defensive end Stansly Maponga who is out with foot and ankle injuries, and freshmen James McFarland and Josh Carraway are expected to replace him in the lineup.
TCU has moved several freshmen into the starting lineup this season, with Boykins replacing former starter Casey Pachall due to treatment for addiction, and Catalon stood in for top running backs in Waymon James and Matthew Tucker.
Both teams look to shoot up in the BCS standings and challenge Kansas State for the Big-12 regular season title.
Betting Odds: Texas Tech is favored by 2 points
Over/Under: 55 points
Prediction: TCU's freshman have done and admirable job up to this point in the season, completely exceeding any and all expectations, but the Red Raiders offense is on fire at this point in the season. Texas Tech should have a dominating victory.
Predicted Score: Texas Tech 33 , TCU 21
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation