No. 17 Texas Tech vs No. 23 TCU, Where to Watch Online, Preview, Betting Odds
October 21, 2012 6:11 AM EST
After toppling a Top 5 team last week the Texas Tech Red Raiders take on the TCU Horned Frogs Saturday at Amon Carter Stadium.
Quarterback Seth Doege’s 499 passing yards and six touchdowns bested leading Heisman Trophy candidate Geno Smith in Texas Tech’s 49-14 blowout of West Virginia.
Receiver Jace Amaro had five receptions for 156 yards and a score, and Darrin Moore had three touchdown catches, as the Red Raiders totaled 676 yards to West Virginia’s 408.
Smith was completing 75 percent of his passes this season, but the Texas Tech defense forced him to miss 26 of his 55 pass attempts on the day.
TCU comes in as one of three teams to make the first Bowl Championship Series rankings, but not the Associated Press poll, despite a convincing 49-21 win over Baylor last week.
The Horned Frogs took a 28-21 lead into the fourth quarter, and fired off three consecutive touchdowns, led by Trevone Boykin’s four touchdown passes and 289 yards.
TCU settled down after a 74-yard touchdown reception by Baylor receiver Terrence Williams in the first quarter for a 7-0 lead, and Boykin’s responded with a barrage of touchdown passes of 18, 15, and 43 yards.
Freshman running back B.J. Catalon stepped up for the second straight week with 79 rushing yards on 17 carries.
The Horned Frogs will miss defensive end Stansly Maponga who is out with foot and ankle injuries, and freshmen James McFarland and Josh Carraway are expected to replace him in the lineup.
TCU has moved several freshmen into the starting lineup this season, with Boykins replacing former starter Casey Pachall due to treatment for addiction, and Catalon stood in for top running backs in Waymon James and Matthew Tucker.
Both teams look to shoot up in the BCS standings and challenge Kansas State for the Big-12 regular season title.
Betting Odds: Texas Tech is favored by 2 points
Over/Under: 55 points
Prediction: TCU's freshman have done and admirable job up to this point in the season, completely exceeding any and all expectations, but the Red Raiders offense is on fire at this point in the season. Texas Tech should have a dominating victory.
Predicted Score: Texas Tech 33 , TCU 21
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date