Calls For Eva Longoria To Resign As Obama Campaign's Co-Chair Following Retweet Controversy
October 20, 2012 6:23 AM EST
Actress Eva Longoria is in hot water after retweeting a hateful remark directed at Mitt Romney. Normally, this wouldn’t be much cause for concern, but Longoria is also a national co-chairperson of President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign.
Longoria has also appeared in commercials for Obama and even spoke at the Democratic National Convention. Longoria was named as one of 35 co-chairpersons for Obama’s campaign in February. Other co-chairpersons include the Mayor of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel, and actor, Kalpen Modi, who acted under the name Kal Penn.
The message Longoria retweeted to her four million followers stated “I have no idea why any woman/minority can vote for Romney. You have to be stupid to vote for such a racist/misogynistic tw--.”
As a public figure for Obama’s campaign, any comment Longoria makes is under intense scrutiny. Surprisingly, the call for her resignation as co-chairperson was made by Alan Colmes.
Colmes, a liberal reporter and commentator for Fox News, discussed the tweet on the Fox News program ‘America Live.’ According to Colmes, “If I were the Obama campaign, I would not like to have someone use the language as a co-chair.” Colmes believes she should resign from her position as co-chairperson.
At first, Longoria did not claim responsibility for the retweet after it received plenty of criticism, simply stating that there was something wrong with her Twitter timeline. Later, Longoria apologized for the retweet, saying, “I use Twitter as a platform for all Americans and their opinions. Sorry if people were offended by retweet. Obviously not my words or my personal view. I respect all Americans #FreedomOfSpeech.”
After the statements on television, Colmes believes that the matter should be put to rest. Taking to Twitter, Colmes said, “The right wing should stop using me to beat up on
@EvaLongoria. She apologized for her RT. Let's move on.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier