Cardinal Regain Series Lead With Game 3 Win Over Cardinals
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 18, 2012 3:07 PM EST
After a three and a half hour rain delay, the St. Louis Cardinals took a 2-1 series lead over the San Francisco Giants in the National League Championship Series with a win at Busch Stadium on Wednesday, 3-1.
Matt Carpenter, who replaced injured outfielder Carlos Beltran, hit a two-run home run in the third inning to give the Cardinals a 2-1 lead.
David Freese would score in the seventh after hitting a one-out double off Giants starter Matt Cain. The right-hander gave up three runs in six and two-third innings to get the loss, while Cardinals starter Kyle Lohse got the win after surrendering just one run in five and two-third innings.
Closer Jason Motte entered in the eighth inning and turned in a two-inning save to hold off the Giants.
The big issue for the rest of the series might be Beltran. The star outfielder left in the second inning with a knee strain. His availability for the Game Four is in doubt.
The Cardinals and Giants will meet for Game Four on Thursday at 8:00 pm eastern time in St. Louis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales