Cardinal Regain Series Lead With Game 3 Win Over Cardinals
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 18, 2012 3:07 PM EST
After a three and a half hour rain delay, the St. Louis Cardinals took a 2-1 series lead over the San Francisco Giants in the National League Championship Series with a win at Busch Stadium on Wednesday, 3-1.
Matt Carpenter, who replaced injured outfielder Carlos Beltran, hit a two-run home run in the third inning to give the Cardinals a 2-1 lead.
David Freese would score in the seventh after hitting a one-out double off Giants starter Matt Cain. The right-hander gave up three runs in six and two-third innings to get the loss, while Cardinals starter Kyle Lohse got the win after surrendering just one run in five and two-third innings.
Closer Jason Motte entered in the eighth inning and turned in a two-inning save to hold off the Giants.
The big issue for the rest of the series might be Beltran. The star outfielder left in the second inning with a knee strain. His availability for the Game Four is in doubt.
The Cardinals and Giants will meet for Game Four on Thursday at 8:00 pm eastern time in St. Louis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On