City in Shock Bid for Catalan Star - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 17, 2012 10:29 PM EST
Manchester City are believed to be considering a bid for Barcelona's Sergio Busquets, in an attempt to add to their midfield options. The English champions conceded only 29 goals last season, en route to their first league title in 44 years, but their defence has looked very leaky this year; Roberto Mancini's side have conceded nine goals in seven league games
Busquets, 24, joins Italy international Daniele De Rossi on the list of Mancini's rumoured January targets and should the Spanish international come to the Etihad, he will face competition from the likes of Gareth Barry, Javi Garcia, Yaya Toure and Jack Rodwell for a starting berth. The fact Ivory Coast star Yaya Toure will leave City in January, to play for his country in the 2013 African Nations Cup, could be another reason for the English club to chase Busquets (and/or De Rossi).
However, it is difficult to see how and why Busquets would be persuaded to swap the Nou Camp for the Premier League, particularly since he is a key member of the Catalan's first team. Any potential move will no doubt have to be facilitated by the presence of Toure, who played for Barcelona between 2007 and 2010.
Meanwhile, Mario Balotelli has shrugged off criticism from City executive Brian Marwood over his unsuitability as a role model for the club's younger players. Marwood dismissed Balotelli's presence at the club and insisted Englishmen like Gareth Barry and Joe Hart were better leaders.
"I'm fine at Manchester City even though there are people who like to talk in the newspapers, instead of saying certain things to my face. I don't give a damn," the former Inter Milan striker said, adding, on the question of his supposedly troubled relationship with Mancini, "With Mancini all goes well, we have a good relationship even though someone always tries to put discord among us. We love each other."
Balotelli was in action on Tuesday, playing for Italy in a 2014 World Cup qualifier against Denmark at the San Siro; the stadium his former club, Inter, shares with city rivals AC Milan. The 21 year old scored once and set up Milan midfielder Riccardo Montolivo for another in a sensational performance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch