City in Shock Bid for Catalan Star - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 17, 2012 10:29 PM EST
Manchester City are believed to be considering a bid for Barcelona's Sergio Busquets, in an attempt to add to their midfield options. The English champions conceded only 29 goals last season, en route to their first league title in 44 years, but their defence has looked very leaky this year; Roberto Mancini's side have conceded nine goals in seven league games
Busquets, 24, joins Italy international Daniele De Rossi on the list of Mancini's rumoured January targets and should the Spanish international come to the Etihad, he will face competition from the likes of Gareth Barry, Javi Garcia, Yaya Toure and Jack Rodwell for a starting berth. The fact Ivory Coast star Yaya Toure will leave City in January, to play for his country in the 2013 African Nations Cup, could be another reason for the English club to chase Busquets (and/or De Rossi).
However, it is difficult to see how and why Busquets would be persuaded to swap the Nou Camp for the Premier League, particularly since he is a key member of the Catalan's first team. Any potential move will no doubt have to be facilitated by the presence of Toure, who played for Barcelona between 2007 and 2010.
Meanwhile, Mario Balotelli has shrugged off criticism from City executive Brian Marwood over his unsuitability as a role model for the club's younger players. Marwood dismissed Balotelli's presence at the club and insisted Englishmen like Gareth Barry and Joe Hart were better leaders.
"I'm fine at Manchester City even though there are people who like to talk in the newspapers, instead of saying certain things to my face. I don't give a damn," the former Inter Milan striker said, adding, on the question of his supposedly troubled relationship with Mancini, "With Mancini all goes well, we have a good relationship even though someone always tries to put discord among us. We love each other."
Balotelli was in action on Tuesday, playing for Italy in a 2014 World Cup qualifier against Denmark at the San Siro; the stadium his former club, Inter, shares with city rivals AC Milan. The 21 year old scored once and set up Milan midfielder Riccardo Montolivo for another in a sensational performance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports