City in Shock Bid for Catalan Star - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 17, 2012 10:29 PM EST
Manchester City are believed to be considering a bid for Barcelona's Sergio Busquets, in an attempt to add to their midfield options. The English champions conceded only 29 goals last season, en route to their first league title in 44 years, but their defence has looked very leaky this year; Roberto Mancini's side have conceded nine goals in seven league games
Busquets, 24, joins Italy international Daniele De Rossi on the list of Mancini's rumoured January targets and should the Spanish international come to the Etihad, he will face competition from the likes of Gareth Barry, Javi Garcia, Yaya Toure and Jack Rodwell for a starting berth. The fact Ivory Coast star Yaya Toure will leave City in January, to play for his country in the 2013 African Nations Cup, could be another reason for the English club to chase Busquets (and/or De Rossi).
However, it is difficult to see how and why Busquets would be persuaded to swap the Nou Camp for the Premier League, particularly since he is a key member of the Catalan's first team. Any potential move will no doubt have to be facilitated by the presence of Toure, who played for Barcelona between 2007 and 2010.
Meanwhile, Mario Balotelli has shrugged off criticism from City executive Brian Marwood over his unsuitability as a role model for the club's younger players. Marwood dismissed Balotelli's presence at the club and insisted Englishmen like Gareth Barry and Joe Hart were better leaders.
"I'm fine at Manchester City even though there are people who like to talk in the newspapers, instead of saying certain things to my face. I don't give a damn," the former Inter Milan striker said, adding, on the question of his supposedly troubled relationship with Mancini, "With Mancini all goes well, we have a good relationship even though someone always tries to put discord among us. We love each other."
Balotelli was in action on Tuesday, playing for Italy in a 2014 World Cup qualifier against Denmark at the San Siro; the stadium his former club, Inter, shares with city rivals AC Milan. The 21 year old scored once and set up Milan midfielder Riccardo Montolivo for another in a sensational performance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch