Midfielder Sees Titles in Liverpool's Future but Warns it Will Take Time
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | October 17, 2012 8:51 PM EST
Liverpool midfielder Nuri Sahin has backed manager Brendan Rodgers to turn the Reds' season around and drastically improve on results from recent seasons. The Turkish international, on loan from Spanish champions Real Madrid, compared the former Swansea City manager with Jurgen Klopp, the manager of Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund.
"It will take time to take Liverpool back to where it wants to be. When Klopp came we did not have a squad to be champions. He changed a lot, bringing his own philosophy in. It took a while for everybody to follow it," the 23 year old told the Reds' official Web site, explaining the change in Dortmund's fortunes after the former Mainz 05 defender took charge at Signal Iduna Park.
The 23 year old Sahin played under Klopp between 2005 and 2011 and emerged as the driving force behind the club's 2010/11 league triumph. It was his performances in that season and under the 45 year old Klopp that earned Sahin the move to the Santiago Bernabeu last season.
Unfortunately, Sahin was injured when he arrived in Madrid and since recovery has not found enough form to force either Spain international Xabi Alonso or German midfielder Sami Khedira from the starting line-up. The Turkish international, however, is reportedly still considered an important member of the club's future plans and Mourinho agreed to a loan move to Liverpool help rebuild the player's fitness, form and confidence.
"He had to be calm and consistent. If you go on this way, in the first two or three weeks, okay, you might not get the results, but in the long-term it will go your way if you don't change it. The club gave Klopp the time to do this and it worked out very well," Sahin said about Klopp, adding, "But as a character he is a person who relates to the player. I can see Brendan doing the same. Brendan's character was very influential in me coming here."
However, if Rodgers is indeed to live up to Sahin and the fans' expectations, drastic improvement is needed. The Reds have suffered one of their worst ever starts to the league season in the Northern Irishman's debut campaign. The Anfield club are presently 14th in the league, with six points from seven games (and only one win so far).
Nevertheless, if Sahin's first few performances in the club's colours are anything to go by, Liverpool fans have much to look forward to. The Real Madrid player has made only five appearances so far but has already scored thrice and with Rodgers desperately in need of a striker, it might not be far-fetched to stick the Turk up front, alongside Uruguayan Luis Suarez and see if he can't add to that tally.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People