Midfielder Sees Titles in Liverpool's Future but Warns it Will Take Time
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | October 17, 2012 8:51 PM EST
Liverpool midfielder Nuri Sahin has backed manager Brendan Rodgers to turn the Reds' season around and drastically improve on results from recent seasons. The Turkish international, on loan from Spanish champions Real Madrid, compared the former Swansea City manager with Jurgen Klopp, the manager of Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund.
"It will take time to take Liverpool back to where it wants to be. When Klopp came we did not have a squad to be champions. He changed a lot, bringing his own philosophy in. It took a while for everybody to follow it," the 23 year old told the Reds' official Web site, explaining the change in Dortmund's fortunes after the former Mainz 05 defender took charge at Signal Iduna Park.
The 23 year old Sahin played under Klopp between 2005 and 2011 and emerged as the driving force behind the club's 2010/11 league triumph. It was his performances in that season and under the 45 year old Klopp that earned Sahin the move to the Santiago Bernabeu last season.
Unfortunately, Sahin was injured when he arrived in Madrid and since recovery has not found enough form to force either Spain international Xabi Alonso or German midfielder Sami Khedira from the starting line-up. The Turkish international, however, is reportedly still considered an important member of the club's future plans and Mourinho agreed to a loan move to Liverpool help rebuild the player's fitness, form and confidence.
"He had to be calm and consistent. If you go on this way, in the first two or three weeks, okay, you might not get the results, but in the long-term it will go your way if you don't change it. The club gave Klopp the time to do this and it worked out very well," Sahin said about Klopp, adding, "But as a character he is a person who relates to the player. I can see Brendan doing the same. Brendan's character was very influential in me coming here."
However, if Rodgers is indeed to live up to Sahin and the fans' expectations, drastic improvement is needed. The Reds have suffered one of their worst ever starts to the league season in the Northern Irishman's debut campaign. The Anfield club are presently 14th in the league, with six points from seven games (and only one win so far).
Nevertheless, if Sahin's first few performances in the club's colours are anything to go by, Liverpool fans have much to look forward to. The Real Madrid player has made only five appearances so far but has already scored thrice and with Rodgers desperately in need of a striker, it might not be far-fetched to stick the Turk up front, alongside Uruguayan Luis Suarez and see if he can't add to that tally.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate