Napoli to Offer Arsenal Defender Chance to Resurrect Career – Report
By Adrian Back | October 17, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Arsenal defender Johan Djourou could be handed the chance to save his stalling career after Italian side Napoli were linked with a January move for the centre-back.
The 25-year-old progressed through the youth side at Arsenal and made his debut for the first team all the way back in 2004 when he appeared as a substitute in the League Cup against Manchester City.
Djourou went on to make 30 appearances in all competition back in the 2006/07 season, before being sent out on-loan to Birmingham and struggling to regain his place in the Arsenal side upon returning.
Two seasons ago he was finally handed the opportunity to once again impress as Thomas Vermalen was ruled out of action for the majority of the season. Djourou seized the opportunity and went on to make some 37 appearances that season.
Last season he was again called upon when injuries occurred, but this year he has started just one League Cup fixture and has not played a single minute in the Premier League.
The Mirror believes that Napoli are prepared to make an offer of £6million in January in order to try and tempt Arsenal into selling the out-of-favour defender.
Djourou was reportedly recommended to Napoli by his international teammate, and former West Ham midfielder, Valon Behrami.
The report suggests that Djourou would like assurances about his future and would like Arsene Wenger to reveal whether or not he is part of the first team plans.
However, it has become increasingly difficult for the Switzerland international to force his way into the side thanks to the superb form of Vermaelen and Per Mertesacker; with Laurent Koscielny the clear third choice.
Napoli have started the season in impressive fashion and currently lie in second place having won six and drawn just one of their opening seven league games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown