Napoli to Offer Arsenal Defender Chance to Resurrect Career – Report
By Adrian Back | October 17, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Arsenal defender Johan Djourou could be handed the chance to save his stalling career after Italian side Napoli were linked with a January move for the centre-back.
The 25-year-old progressed through the youth side at Arsenal and made his debut for the first team all the way back in 2004 when he appeared as a substitute in the League Cup against Manchester City.
Djourou went on to make 30 appearances in all competition back in the 2006/07 season, before being sent out on-loan to Birmingham and struggling to regain his place in the Arsenal side upon returning.
Two seasons ago he was finally handed the opportunity to once again impress as Thomas Vermalen was ruled out of action for the majority of the season. Djourou seized the opportunity and went on to make some 37 appearances that season.
Last season he was again called upon when injuries occurred, but this year he has started just one League Cup fixture and has not played a single minute in the Premier League.
The Mirror believes that Napoli are prepared to make an offer of £6million in January in order to try and tempt Arsenal into selling the out-of-favour defender.
Djourou was reportedly recommended to Napoli by his international teammate, and former West Ham midfielder, Valon Behrami.
The report suggests that Djourou would like assurances about his future and would like Arsene Wenger to reveal whether or not he is part of the first team plans.
However, it has become increasingly difficult for the Switzerland international to force his way into the side thanks to the superb form of Vermaelen and Per Mertesacker; with Laurent Koscielny the clear third choice.
Napoli have started the season in impressive fashion and currently lie in second place having won six and drawn just one of their opening seven league games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine