Napoli to Offer Arsenal Defender Chance to Resurrect Career – Report
By Adrian Back | October 17, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Arsenal defender Johan Djourou could be handed the chance to save his stalling career after Italian side Napoli were linked with a January move for the centre-back.
The 25-year-old progressed through the youth side at Arsenal and made his debut for the first team all the way back in 2004 when he appeared as a substitute in the League Cup against Manchester City.
Djourou went on to make 30 appearances in all competition back in the 2006/07 season, before being sent out on-loan to Birmingham and struggling to regain his place in the Arsenal side upon returning.
Two seasons ago he was finally handed the opportunity to once again impress as Thomas Vermalen was ruled out of action for the majority of the season. Djourou seized the opportunity and went on to make some 37 appearances that season.
Last season he was again called upon when injuries occurred, but this year he has started just one League Cup fixture and has not played a single minute in the Premier League.
The Mirror believes that Napoli are prepared to make an offer of £6million in January in order to try and tempt Arsenal into selling the out-of-favour defender.
Djourou was reportedly recommended to Napoli by his international teammate, and former West Ham midfielder, Valon Behrami.
The report suggests that Djourou would like assurances about his future and would like Arsene Wenger to reveal whether or not he is part of the first team plans.
However, it has become increasingly difficult for the Switzerland international to force his way into the side thanks to the superb form of Vermaelen and Per Mertesacker; with Laurent Koscielny the clear third choice.
Napoli have started the season in impressive fashion and currently lie in second place having won six and drawn just one of their opening seven league games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery