Napoli to Offer Arsenal Defender Chance to Resurrect Career – Report
By Adrian Back | October 17, 2012 8:41 PM EST
Arsenal defender Johan Djourou could be handed the chance to save his stalling career after Italian side Napoli were linked with a January move for the centre-back.
The 25-year-old progressed through the youth side at Arsenal and made his debut for the first team all the way back in 2004 when he appeared as a substitute in the League Cup against Manchester City.
Djourou went on to make 30 appearances in all competition back in the 2006/07 season, before being sent out on-loan to Birmingham and struggling to regain his place in the Arsenal side upon returning.
Two seasons ago he was finally handed the opportunity to once again impress as Thomas Vermalen was ruled out of action for the majority of the season. Djourou seized the opportunity and went on to make some 37 appearances that season.
Last season he was again called upon when injuries occurred, but this year he has started just one League Cup fixture and has not played a single minute in the Premier League.
The Mirror believes that Napoli are prepared to make an offer of £6million in January in order to try and tempt Arsenal into selling the out-of-favour defender.
Djourou was reportedly recommended to Napoli by his international teammate, and former West Ham midfielder, Valon Behrami.
The report suggests that Djourou would like assurances about his future and would like Arsene Wenger to reveal whether or not he is part of the first team plans.
However, it has become increasingly difficult for the Switzerland international to force his way into the side thanks to the superb form of Vermaelen and Per Mertesacker; with Laurent Koscielny the clear third choice.
Napoli have started the season in impressive fashion and currently lie in second place having won six and drawn just one of their opening seven league games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Arsenal FC: Zlatan Or Ronaldo? Wenger Reveals His Biggest 'Missed Signing' Regret
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional