Philadelphia Eagles Fire Juan Castillo: Is Andy Reid Next?
October 17, 2012 3:37 AM EST
After a 3-3 start to the 2012 NFL Season, the Philadelphia Eagles have fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo. Secondary coach Todd Bowles will take over the position.
Castillo was let go two days after the Eagles blew a fourth quarter lead to the Lions. The loss put them at .500 and tied for second place in the NFC East.
Head coach Andy Reid decided to fire Castillo just a year and a half after hiring him. He was named the defensive coordinator, even though he had previously been the offensive line coach.
Philadelphia’s defense struggled in 2011, but the unit hasn’t been the main culprit in the team’s recent losses. The Eagles defense has been average in 2012, allowing 20.8 points per game. They are 13th in league, and have gotten very little help from the offense.
The Eagles offense may be the biggest reason that the team has lost three of their last four games. At 17.2 points per game, Philadelphia is second-to-last in the NFL in scoring. They’ve committed a league-leading 17 turnovers, and haven’t put the defense in much of a position to succeed.
Could Reid be on his way out the door in Philadelphia?
Reid has been one of the most successful head coaches, since getting the job in 1999. In the middle of his 14th season, he has a .611 winning percentage, leading the Eagles to nine playoff appearances and five NFC Championship Games.
Despite his regular season success, Reid has never won a title. He’s made just one Super Bowl appearance, even though the Eagles have won close to 10 games per season, on average, during his tenure. Reid has often been criticized for his in-game decisions, specifically not utilizing the rushing attack nearly enough.
The head coach experienced a lot of success early, but may be falling out of favor in Philadelphia. It’s been eight years since Reid led the Eagles to the Super Bowl.
Extremely high expectations were heaped on the Eagles before last season. They finished a disappointing 8-8, and could be headed for another similar finish. If Philadelphia fails to make the playoffs in 2012, Reid might not return next season.
Reid’s contract runs through the end of 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015