Philadelphia Eagles Fire Juan Castillo: Is Andy Reid Next?
October 17, 2012 3:37 AM EST
After a 3-3 start to the 2012 NFL Season, the Philadelphia Eagles have fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo. Secondary coach Todd Bowles will take over the position.
Castillo was let go two days after the Eagles blew a fourth quarter lead to the Lions. The loss put them at .500 and tied for second place in the NFC East.
Head coach Andy Reid decided to fire Castillo just a year and a half after hiring him. He was named the defensive coordinator, even though he had previously been the offensive line coach.
Philadelphia’s defense struggled in 2011, but the unit hasn’t been the main culprit in the team’s recent losses. The Eagles defense has been average in 2012, allowing 20.8 points per game. They are 13th in league, and have gotten very little help from the offense.
The Eagles offense may be the biggest reason that the team has lost three of their last four games. At 17.2 points per game, Philadelphia is second-to-last in the NFL in scoring. They’ve committed a league-leading 17 turnovers, and haven’t put the defense in much of a position to succeed.
Could Reid be on his way out the door in Philadelphia?
Reid has been one of the most successful head coaches, since getting the job in 1999. In the middle of his 14th season, he has a .611 winning percentage, leading the Eagles to nine playoff appearances and five NFC Championship Games.
Despite his regular season success, Reid has never won a title. He’s made just one Super Bowl appearance, even though the Eagles have won close to 10 games per season, on average, during his tenure. Reid has often been criticized for his in-game decisions, specifically not utilizing the rushing attack nearly enough.
The head coach experienced a lot of success early, but may be falling out of favor in Philadelphia. It’s been eight years since Reid led the Eagles to the Super Bowl.
Extremely high expectations were heaped on the Eagles before last season. They finished a disappointing 8-8, and could be headed for another similar finish. If Philadelphia fails to make the playoffs in 2012, Reid might not return next season.
Reid’s contract runs through the end of 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6