Liverpool Eyeing Barcelona and Atletico Madrid Superstars - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 16, 2012 9:26 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is reportedly scouting Barcelona's Chilean superstar Alexis Sanchez and Atletico Madrid's Turkish international Arda Turan, in a bid to solve the club's crippling striking problems.
The Reds are facing lack of options up front and have scored just nine goals this season from their seven Premier League matches, including the 5-2 win over Norwich City. The Merseyside outfit received another blow last week when forward Fabio Borini fractured a bone in his right foot, while on duty with the Italy under-21 side.
With Andy Carroll out on loan at West Ham United, Rodgers now has only Luis Suarez and the out-of-form Stewart Downing left as senior forwards to field in the three man-attack he favours.
Sanchez, who can play wide or through the middle, would be perfect for Rodgers' system, and Talksport claims the Liverpool manager is monitoring his situation closely.
The former Udinese star notched 12 goals and five assists from 25 league appearances in his debut season in the La Liga but is understood to have fallen down the pecking order at Camp Nou this year.
Reports also suggest Rodgers sent scouts to watch Turan, a self-confessed Liverpool fan, in action for Turkey against Romania in a recent World Cup qualifier.
The 25-year-old, who can play as either a left winger or an attacking midfielder, has been long-time target of Liverpool and was linked with a move to Anfield before he joined Atletico from Galatasaray in 2011.
Last week, Rodgers revealed that he is planning to bring in a few players during the January transfer window so that the club can be as strong as their Premier League rivals.
"I've had good conversations with the owners and they understand where we are at as a team at the moment. If we can get our best 11 players on the pitch then our team is comparable to any team in the league," the Daily Mirror quoted the Liverpool boss as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet