Liverpool Eyeing Barcelona and Atletico Madrid Superstars - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 16, 2012 9:26 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is reportedly scouting Barcelona's Chilean superstar Alexis Sanchez and Atletico Madrid's Turkish international Arda Turan, in a bid to solve the club's crippling striking problems.
The Reds are facing lack of options up front and have scored just nine goals this season from their seven Premier League matches, including the 5-2 win over Norwich City. The Merseyside outfit received another blow last week when forward Fabio Borini fractured a bone in his right foot, while on duty with the Italy under-21 side.
With Andy Carroll out on loan at West Ham United, Rodgers now has only Luis Suarez and the out-of-form Stewart Downing left as senior forwards to field in the three man-attack he favours.
Sanchez, who can play wide or through the middle, would be perfect for Rodgers' system, and Talksport claims the Liverpool manager is monitoring his situation closely.
The former Udinese star notched 12 goals and five assists from 25 league appearances in his debut season in the La Liga but is understood to have fallen down the pecking order at Camp Nou this year.
Reports also suggest Rodgers sent scouts to watch Turan, a self-confessed Liverpool fan, in action for Turkey against Romania in a recent World Cup qualifier.
The 25-year-old, who can play as either a left winger or an attacking midfielder, has been long-time target of Liverpool and was linked with a move to Anfield before he joined Atletico from Galatasaray in 2011.
Last week, Rodgers revealed that he is planning to bring in a few players during the January transfer window so that the club can be as strong as their Premier League rivals.
"I've had good conversations with the owners and they understand where we are at as a team at the moment. If we can get our best 11 players on the pitch then our team is comparable to any team in the league," the Daily Mirror quoted the Liverpool boss as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899