Liverpool Eyeing Barcelona and Atletico Madrid Superstars - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 16, 2012 9:26 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is reportedly scouting Barcelona's Chilean superstar Alexis Sanchez and Atletico Madrid's Turkish international Arda Turan, in a bid to solve the club's crippling striking problems.
The Reds are facing lack of options up front and have scored just nine goals this season from their seven Premier League matches, including the 5-2 win over Norwich City. The Merseyside outfit received another blow last week when forward Fabio Borini fractured a bone in his right foot, while on duty with the Italy under-21 side.
With Andy Carroll out on loan at West Ham United, Rodgers now has only Luis Suarez and the out-of-form Stewart Downing left as senior forwards to field in the three man-attack he favours.
Sanchez, who can play wide or through the middle, would be perfect for Rodgers' system, and Talksport claims the Liverpool manager is monitoring his situation closely.
The former Udinese star notched 12 goals and five assists from 25 league appearances in his debut season in the La Liga but is understood to have fallen down the pecking order at Camp Nou this year.
Reports also suggest Rodgers sent scouts to watch Turan, a self-confessed Liverpool fan, in action for Turkey against Romania in a recent World Cup qualifier.
The 25-year-old, who can play as either a left winger or an attacking midfielder, has been long-time target of Liverpool and was linked with a move to Anfield before he joined Atletico from Galatasaray in 2011.
Last week, Rodgers revealed that he is planning to bring in a few players during the January transfer window so that the club can be as strong as their Premier League rivals.
"I've had good conversations with the owners and they understand where we are at as a team at the moment. If we can get our best 11 players on the pitch then our team is comparable to any team in the league," the Daily Mirror quoted the Liverpool boss as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June