Liverpool Eyeing Barcelona and Atletico Madrid Superstars - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 16, 2012 9:26 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is reportedly scouting Barcelona's Chilean superstar Alexis Sanchez and Atletico Madrid's Turkish international Arda Turan, in a bid to solve the club's crippling striking problems.
The Reds are facing lack of options up front and have scored just nine goals this season from their seven Premier League matches, including the 5-2 win over Norwich City. The Merseyside outfit received another blow last week when forward Fabio Borini fractured a bone in his right foot, while on duty with the Italy under-21 side.
With Andy Carroll out on loan at West Ham United, Rodgers now has only Luis Suarez and the out-of-form Stewart Downing left as senior forwards to field in the three man-attack he favours.
Sanchez, who can play wide or through the middle, would be perfect for Rodgers' system, and Talksport claims the Liverpool manager is monitoring his situation closely.
The former Udinese star notched 12 goals and five assists from 25 league appearances in his debut season in the La Liga but is understood to have fallen down the pecking order at Camp Nou this year.
Reports also suggest Rodgers sent scouts to watch Turan, a self-confessed Liverpool fan, in action for Turkey against Romania in a recent World Cup qualifier.
The 25-year-old, who can play as either a left winger or an attacking midfielder, has been long-time target of Liverpool and was linked with a move to Anfield before he joined Atletico from Galatasaray in 2011.
Last week, Rodgers revealed that he is planning to bring in a few players during the January transfer window so that the club can be as strong as their Premier League rivals.
"I've had good conversations with the owners and they understand where we are at as a team at the moment. If we can get our best 11 players on the pitch then our team is comparable to any team in the league," the Daily Mirror quoted the Liverpool boss as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports