Liverpool Eyeing Barcelona and Atletico Madrid Superstars - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | October 16, 2012 9:26 PM EST
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is reportedly scouting Barcelona's Chilean superstar Alexis Sanchez and Atletico Madrid's Turkish international Arda Turan, in a bid to solve the club's crippling striking problems.
The Reds are facing lack of options up front and have scored just nine goals this season from their seven Premier League matches, including the 5-2 win over Norwich City. The Merseyside outfit received another blow last week when forward Fabio Borini fractured a bone in his right foot, while on duty with the Italy under-21 side.
With Andy Carroll out on loan at West Ham United, Rodgers now has only Luis Suarez and the out-of-form Stewart Downing left as senior forwards to field in the three man-attack he favours.
Sanchez, who can play wide or through the middle, would be perfect for Rodgers' system, and Talksport claims the Liverpool manager is monitoring his situation closely.
The former Udinese star notched 12 goals and five assists from 25 league appearances in his debut season in the La Liga but is understood to have fallen down the pecking order at Camp Nou this year.
Reports also suggest Rodgers sent scouts to watch Turan, a self-confessed Liverpool fan, in action for Turkey against Romania in a recent World Cup qualifier.
The 25-year-old, who can play as either a left winger or an attacking midfielder, has been long-time target of Liverpool and was linked with a move to Anfield before he joined Atletico from Galatasaray in 2011.
Last week, Rodgers revealed that he is planning to bring in a few players during the January transfer window so that the club can be as strong as their Premier League rivals.
"I've had good conversations with the owners and they understand where we are at as a team at the moment. If we can get our best 11 players on the pitch then our team is comparable to any team in the league," the Daily Mirror quoted the Liverpool boss as saying.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More