Amazon To Hire 50,000 Seasonal Workers For Holiday Season
By VALLI MEENAKSHI RAMANATHAN | October 16, 2012 7:58 PM EST
Amazon (AMZN) is planning to hire 50,000 seasonal workers in the United States to cater to the holiday season. The seasonal hiring plans of different retail stores spell good news for several groups of unemployed workforce as they are likely to shore up sentiments in the recessionary phase.
At present the company employs 20,000 members at its 40 fulfillment centers across the U.S., where seasonal employees will be placed, CNN has reported adding, the company expects thousands of seasonal workers to continue in full-time positions after the holidays are over.
Though the e-retail giant is yet to share plans on the type of positions it is hiring for, workers at fulfillment centers perform a range of tasks in online orders including pulling items from warehouse shelves, packing boxes for shipment and storing merchandise.
Reportedly, outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas reported that U.S. retailers including restaurants have announced plans to hire 413,700 seasonal workers - a five-year high for seasonal hiring, according to Reuters.
Stores are planning to take advantage of holiday sales season that is likely to be strong and National Retail Federation has predicted season's sales are likely to increase 4.1% over last year to $586 billion.
Macy's that also owns Bloomingdale department store plans to hire 80,000 temporary workers. The extra workers are likely to staff sales floors, store operations, call centers and shipping centers for online orders.
Toys R Us stated in September that it plans to hire 45,000 seasonal workers, nearly 5000 more than the previous year. Department store chain Kohl's announced September that it plans to hire 52,700 seasonal workers, a 10% increase over the previous year.
Holiday sales reportedly rose 5.6% in 2011 and have risen 3.5% over the past decade. The industry group defines "holiday sales," as retail sales that happen in November and December.
In September, Walmart Stores Inc (WMT) announced plans to hire more than 50,000 seasonal employees to work at Walmart stores in the United States, Reuters has stated.
Retail firm Target Corp announced plans to hire about 80,000 to 90,000 seasonal employees for its stores and distribution centers.
While Target plans to hire fewer than the 92,000 seasonal staff it had in 2011, it said that 30 percent of those who were hired to work during last year's holiday season were given year-round positions, Reuters has added.
"We're hiring at our sites across the U.S. for talented individuals to help us deliver a great experience for our customers this holiday season. Temporary associates play a critical role in meeting increased customer demand during the holiday season, and we expect thousands of temporary associates will stay on in full-time positions," Dave Clark, vice president, Global Customer Fulfillment, told Business Wire.
For employees occupying permanent positions, Amazon offers competitive hourly wages, stock grants, and comprehensive benefits, including medical and dental coverage, company-paid vision, company-paid life insurance, company-paid disability insurance, paid vacation, a 401(k) plan with a company match and discount program, a company release via Business Wire noted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Suits RECAP Season 4 Episode 6: Mike’s Downfall, Rachel’s Kiss, Harvey Picks Mike in Litt the Hell Up [SPOILERS]
- Pilot won Over Travolta Disclosure Case
- ‘True Blood’ Episode Upsets US Senator Ted Cruz [VIDEO]
- Snoop Dogg Claims Smoking Pot in White House
- New Zealand Minister Offers to Quit on Charges of Breaching Airport Security
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown