Chelsea Transfer News: Falcao, Paulinho, Cole and Lulic Involved in Latest Speculation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 16, 2012 5:49 AM EST
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has personally given the club the go ahead to launch a staggering £46 million move for Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao in January, according to the Daily Mail.
The prolific Colombian has been repeatedly linked with the Blues since the summer and the Mail is just one of several sources claiming that they are now prepared to meet Atletico’s buyout clause in the next transfer window.
Chelsea are thought to be eagerly trying to recruit a striker, with just Fernando Torres and the reportedly unsettled Daniel Sturridge as established options in that position in Roberto Di Matteo’s squad.
Falcao’s continued impressive goal-scoring form, which included a first-half hat-trick against Chelsea in August’s UEFA Super Cup, is believed to have put the 26-year-old firmly at the top of Chelsea’s list of targets.
There has also been talk of Chelsea’s interest in another South American in recent days. The Blues are said to considering a move for Corinthians midfielder Paulinho. The 24-year-old, who helped his side to the Copa Libertadores trophy back in July, has recently been deployed in a more defensively-minded midfield role with Brazil, alongside current Chelsea regular Ramires.
Paulinho has also been recently talked of in connection with possible moves to Arsenal and Inter Milan.
Another name linked to the Blues in the latest transfer news is Lazio’s Senad Lulic. The Bosnia and Herzegovina international, 26, has played primarily as a left-back in Serie A this season, though is also capable of operating on the left side of midfield.
Di Matteo is keeping a close check on his progress, according to the Daily Mirror, while Bayern Munich are also interested, with Lulic said to have rejected Lazio’s offer of a new contract.
Recent days have also seen renewed reports that Ashley Cole’s future at Stamford Bridge is increasingly precarious. The left-back is now ready to exit at the end of the season having failed to agree an extension to his contract, according to the Daily Mail.
Chelsea have a policy of not offering contracts longer than a year to players over the age of 30, a decision that does not sit well with the 31-year-old Cole.
If a resolution is not reached soon, then the England international will be free to negotiate a free transfer with overseas clubs from January. Both Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid are interested parties, according to the Mail.
Whether Chelsea will relent on their stance, for a player who is still regarded as one of the best in his position in the world, remains to be seen.
A similar scenario could also see midfielder Frank Lampard, 34, depart come the season’s end.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown