Chelsea Transfer News: Falcao, Paulinho, Cole and Lulic Involved in Latest Speculation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 16, 2012 5:49 AM EST
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has personally given the club the go ahead to launch a staggering £46 million move for Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao in January, according to the Daily Mail.
The prolific Colombian has been repeatedly linked with the Blues since the summer and the Mail is just one of several sources claiming that they are now prepared to meet Atletico’s buyout clause in the next transfer window.
Chelsea are thought to be eagerly trying to recruit a striker, with just Fernando Torres and the reportedly unsettled Daniel Sturridge as established options in that position in Roberto Di Matteo’s squad.
Falcao’s continued impressive goal-scoring form, which included a first-half hat-trick against Chelsea in August’s UEFA Super Cup, is believed to have put the 26-year-old firmly at the top of Chelsea’s list of targets.
There has also been talk of Chelsea’s interest in another South American in recent days. The Blues are said to considering a move for Corinthians midfielder Paulinho. The 24-year-old, who helped his side to the Copa Libertadores trophy back in July, has recently been deployed in a more defensively-minded midfield role with Brazil, alongside current Chelsea regular Ramires.
Paulinho has also been recently talked of in connection with possible moves to Arsenal and Inter Milan.
Another name linked to the Blues in the latest transfer news is Lazio’s Senad Lulic. The Bosnia and Herzegovina international, 26, has played primarily as a left-back in Serie A this season, though is also capable of operating on the left side of midfield.
Di Matteo is keeping a close check on his progress, according to the Daily Mirror, while Bayern Munich are also interested, with Lulic said to have rejected Lazio’s offer of a new contract.
Recent days have also seen renewed reports that Ashley Cole’s future at Stamford Bridge is increasingly precarious. The left-back is now ready to exit at the end of the season having failed to agree an extension to his contract, according to the Daily Mail.
Chelsea have a policy of not offering contracts longer than a year to players over the age of 30, a decision that does not sit well with the 31-year-old Cole.
If a resolution is not reached soon, then the England international will be free to negotiate a free transfer with overseas clubs from January. Both Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid are interested parties, according to the Mail.
Whether Chelsea will relent on their stance, for a player who is still regarded as one of the best in his position in the world, remains to be seen.
A similar scenario could also see midfielder Frank Lampard, 34, depart come the season’s end.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report