Can the Yankees Come Back to Win the ALCS?
October 16, 2012 3:02 AM EST
The Detroit Tigers took a commanding 2-0 series lead over the New York Yankees on Sunday with a shutout at Yankee Stadium. After their dominating performance in Game Two, Detroit looks to close out the ALCS at home for a trip to the World Series.
Before the series began on Saturday, the Yankees were favored to advance to the Fall Classic. They led the American League in wins, and were set to face a Tigers team that ended the regular season with the seventh-best record in the AL.
Seven games in the 2012 playoffs, New York looks nothing like the team that won 95 games. While their pitching has been very good, the Yankees offense has underperformed at an alarming rate.
Do the Yankees have a chance to come back and win the ALCS?
New York’s offense certainly hasn’t given any indication that the series will return to the Bronx. Unless the club turns things around in a hurry, this will be a very short series.
In seven playoff games, the Yankees are hitting just .205 with a .277 on base percentage. That’s a far cry from their .337 OBP during the season that ranked them second in the MLB.
Several New York players are mired in the worst slumps of their career.
Nick Swisher has continued his poor postseason play from years past. The outfielder is hitting .154 with one extra-base hit. For his playoff career, he is an incredible 1-for-34 with runners in scoring position.
Future Hall of Famer Alex Rodriguez doesn’t even look like he belongs in the majors. He has just three hits in 23 postseason at bats. He’s been a disaster against right-handed pitchers, striking out 13 times in 19 hitless at bats. During the regular season, Rodriguez was much better against righties, but his playoff numbers are hard to explain.
Curtis Granderson has the most homer runs in baseball in the last two years, but you wouldn’t know it by watching the playoffs. He has 14 strikeouts and just three hits.
Robinson Cano’s struggles may be the most difficult to explain. While Swisher and Rodriguez have historically struggled in important games, Cano had recently thrived in the playoffs. In 14 games between 2010 and 2011, he hit .333 with six home runs and 15 RBI.
After finishing the regular season 24-for-39, Cano is the in the midst of the worst slump in postseason history. The second baseman hasn’t gotten a hit in his last 26 at bats.
Offensively challenged teams have been able to have success in postseason’s past, due to dominant pitching. The Yankees pitchers have been great, but have still had trouble overcoming the team’s offensive woes. A 2.38 team ERA hasn’t been enough to keep New York above .500 this postseason.
With Derek Jeter going down with an ankle injury, New York has very few hitters that it can rely on. Seemingly, the Yankees best chance to win a game is to keep it close and hope for late-game heroics by Raul Ibanez.
Despite an anemic offense, the Yankees still have time to turn things around. If they can win two out of three games in Detroit, the Yankees would head back to the Bronx, with a chance to close out the ALDS at home.
Players like Swisher, Cano, Rodriguez and Granderson have a track record of success. It’s not impossible to think a few of them can break out of their slumps in the next couple of days. With the Tigers sending their ace to the mound in Game Three, however, the Yankees will likely be watching the Fall Classic from home for the third straight year.
Justin Verlander will face C.C. Sabathia on Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET in Detroit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar