Kyle Bennett Dead: U.S. BMX Olympic Cyclist Loses Life In Auto Accident
By Tom Herrmann | October 16, 2012 12:56 AM EST
Kyle Bennett, a cyclist who performed for the United States BMX Olympic team in 2008 died in an automobile accident on Sunday. The Oct. 14 incident occurred early in the mooring in Conroe, Texas, Bennett’s hometown, according to a statement from USA Cycling.
All of us at USA Cycling were deeply saddened to learn this morning of the tragic and untimely loss of Kyle Bennett," USA Cycling CEO Steve Johnson said in the organization’s statement. "Kyle was a pioneer in Olympic BMX and an inspiration to those of us that knew him. He will be sorely missed, and we offer our deepest condolences to his family and loved ones."
The late Bennett, 33, was engaged to be married and had a young daughter named Kylie. Before his death, the cyclist had won three BMX world championships, and had earned himself an automatic spot on the first U.S. BMX Olympic Team.
"He made it big-time and made good money and a great living, but he never forgot where he came from," said former owner of Armadillo BMX Keith Arnst, who was also a family friend of Bennett’s according to the Houston Chronicle. The Chronicle notes that Bennett was a role-model to younger cyclists who appreciated his technique, and was inducted into the BMX Hall of Fame for his work in the inaugural BMX Olympics.
Investigators allege that Bennett was heading westbound on Old Highway 105 at approximately 2:15 am when the accident which took the cyclists life occurred, the Chronicle reports. The BMX Olympian lost control of his 2006 Toyota Tundra after driving at a high speed and was sent off the road, flipping the truck through a ditch and into a private residence; he was pronounced dead at the scene.
"He was a genuine, great guy," says Mike King, BMX program director for USA Cycling, reports the Chronicle. "He was always there to give back, which I think is his story. He was a bigger person off the bike, but he also was able to inspire people to try to be like him. It would be the ultimate compliment to say that you ride like Kyle Bennett."
Bennett took a great amount of pride in the sport that he made a living with. The late cyclist felt that it was a misunderstood craft and hoped the 2008 Olympics he participated in would bring in new audiences to BMX.
"People don't know what BMX is," Bennett told the Houston Chronicle in 2008 alleges the Chronicle. "They think of tricks, but we don't do that. We're racers. It will be huge to show the world what we do."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet