Tom Gullick Breaks Birdwatching Record
By Hannah Osborne | October 16, 2012 12:36 AM EST
British-born Tom Gullick has broken a birdwatching record after spotting his 9,000th species: a Wallace's Fruit-Dove.
In total, Gullick has spotted 9,047 birds. He broke the record during a trip to Yamdena, in the Tanimbar Islands of Indonesia, on 19 August.
Gullick has been the world's top 'lister' - a term for someone who keeps a list of all the birds they have seen - since 2008.
According to the Independent, the 81-year-old still has around 1,500 bird species to spot before he has seen them all, but he believes his new record is quite sufficient.
He is quoted as saying: "I'd been trying hard to get there over the years. Enough is enough."
In a 2010 interview with the Financial Times, Gullick said he did not think he would reach the 9,000 milestone. "I don't think I'm going to add much on to where I am now, at the age of 79. I doubt if I'll get to 9,000," he said.
"I've had a knee operation so I'm not too good at climbing hills the way I used to, or climbing trees. But it really won't fuss me that someone will overtake me - I have been number one for quite a long time."
Before Gullick became the record holder for bird spotting, the title was held by an American named Phoebe Snetsinger. She had seen 8,398 species at the time of her death in 1999.
Speaking about his passion for birds, Gullick told the Financial Times: "The pleasure is in the challenge and the achievement, the thrill when you see the bird. I don't have a favourite bird, I don't think of it in those terms. One likes them all."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display