Skydiver Felix Baumgartner Shatters Records with 120,000 ft Jump from Space
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 15, 2012 8:39 PM EST
Australian daredevil Felix Baumgartner on Sunday shattered a string of records after making a successful freefall jump from the edge of outer space.
Wearing a specially designed pressure suit, Baumgartner reached 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and arrived at the destination above the earth after two and a half hours.
The biggest challenge Baumgartner had to face was to balance his body as he rushed down 24 miles above the surface of the earth. There was a risk of him losing consciousness due to excessive gravitational force.
As feared, the historic-jumper was spinning out of control in the thin air of the stratosphere before the atmosphere thickened letting Baumgartner gain control and stop spinning. Overcoming the mid-air crisis, the fearless jumper rushed smoothly at supersonic speed to the earth before parachuting to the ground.
Baumgartner came down at a maximum speed of 833.9 miles per hour or Mach 1.24 and reached the ground in less than ten minutes.
According to the Red Bull Stratos team which worked with Baumgartner, this skydiving mission was to "transcend human limits that have existed for 50 years." However, they say setting or shattering record was not the priority."
Joe Kittinger, a retired Air Force colonel, previously held the record of highest-altitude jump. He performed the freefall jump from 102,800 feet in 1960.
The data gathered from Baumgartner's record jump will be used by engineers and scientists from Red Bull Stratos in developing further strategies and equipments to facilitate future jumpers aspiring to raise the bar in skydiving.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced