Skydiver Felix Baumgartner Shatters Records with 120,000 ft Jump from Space
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 15, 2012 8:39 PM EST
Australian daredevil Felix Baumgartner on Sunday shattered a string of records after making a successful freefall jump from the edge of outer space.
Wearing a specially designed pressure suit, Baumgartner reached 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and arrived at the destination above the earth after two and a half hours.
The biggest challenge Baumgartner had to face was to balance his body as he rushed down 24 miles above the surface of the earth. There was a risk of him losing consciousness due to excessive gravitational force.
As feared, the historic-jumper was spinning out of control in the thin air of the stratosphere before the atmosphere thickened letting Baumgartner gain control and stop spinning. Overcoming the mid-air crisis, the fearless jumper rushed smoothly at supersonic speed to the earth before parachuting to the ground.
Baumgartner came down at a maximum speed of 833.9 miles per hour or Mach 1.24 and reached the ground in less than ten minutes.
According to the Red Bull Stratos team which worked with Baumgartner, this skydiving mission was to "transcend human limits that have existed for 50 years." However, they say setting or shattering record was not the priority."
Joe Kittinger, a retired Air Force colonel, previously held the record of highest-altitude jump. He performed the freefall jump from 102,800 feet in 1960.
The data gathered from Baumgartner's record jump will be used by engineers and scientists from Red Bull Stratos in developing further strategies and equipments to facilitate future jumpers aspiring to raise the bar in skydiving.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed