Skydiver Felix Baumgartner Shatters Records with 120,000 ft Jump from Space
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | October 15, 2012 8:39 PM EST
Australian daredevil Felix Baumgartner on Sunday shattered a string of records after making a successful freefall jump from the edge of outer space.
Wearing a specially designed pressure suit, Baumgartner reached 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and arrived at the destination above the earth after two and a half hours.
The biggest challenge Baumgartner had to face was to balance his body as he rushed down 24 miles above the surface of the earth. There was a risk of him losing consciousness due to excessive gravitational force.
As feared, the historic-jumper was spinning out of control in the thin air of the stratosphere before the atmosphere thickened letting Baumgartner gain control and stop spinning. Overcoming the mid-air crisis, the fearless jumper rushed smoothly at supersonic speed to the earth before parachuting to the ground.
Baumgartner came down at a maximum speed of 833.9 miles per hour or Mach 1.24 and reached the ground in less than ten minutes.
According to the Red Bull Stratos team which worked with Baumgartner, this skydiving mission was to "transcend human limits that have existed for 50 years." However, they say setting or shattering record was not the priority."
Joe Kittinger, a retired Air Force colonel, previously held the record of highest-altitude jump. He performed the freefall jump from 102,800 feet in 1960.
The data gathered from Baumgartner's record jump will be used by engineers and scientists from Red Bull Stratos in developing further strategies and equipments to facilitate future jumpers aspiring to raise the bar in skydiving.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness