Lowry Takes Portugal Crown
By Golf 365 | October 15, 2012 3:01 PM EST
Shane Lowry overturned a four-shot deficit at the start of the final day to win the Portugal Masters by one stroke ahead of Ross Fisher.
Three years after capturing the Irish Open as an amateur, the Irishman produced a final round of 66 at the Oceanico Victoria golf course for a 14-under-par total of 270.
The 25-year-old's victory was set up by an eagle two at the 11th after his approach landed a foot short of the hole and hopped in.
After birdies at the 15th and 17th, Lowry got himself in a spot of bother after driving into sand and bogeying the last for a 66.
Fisher, though, failed to force a sudden-death play-off after also finishing with a bogey, coming home with a 70.
"I can't explain how I feel now to be honest. It's a dream," said Lowry, who is only the second player to win on the European Tour as an amateur and a professional after Spain's Pablo Martin.
"I've won such a big tournament, such a prestigious event. I'm over the moon. It was like playing in Ireland [given the fans' support], it was great."
Former US Open champion Michael Campbell was third, his highest finish in four years, with a 273 with overnight leader Austrian Bernd Wiesberger, another shot behind.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements