Lowry Takes Portugal Crown
By Golf 365 | October 15, 2012 3:01 PM EST
Shane Lowry overturned a four-shot deficit at the start of the final day to win the Portugal Masters by one stroke ahead of Ross Fisher.
Three years after capturing the Irish Open as an amateur, the Irishman produced a final round of 66 at the Oceanico Victoria golf course for a 14-under-par total of 270.
The 25-year-old's victory was set up by an eagle two at the 11th after his approach landed a foot short of the hole and hopped in.
After birdies at the 15th and 17th, Lowry got himself in a spot of bother after driving into sand and bogeying the last for a 66.
Fisher, though, failed to force a sudden-death play-off after also finishing with a bogey, coming home with a 70.
"I can't explain how I feel now to be honest. It's a dream," said Lowry, who is only the second player to win on the European Tour as an amateur and a professional after Spain's Pablo Martin.
"I've won such a big tournament, such a prestigious event. I'm over the moon. It was like playing in Ireland [given the fans' support], it was great."
Former US Open champion Michael Campbell was third, his highest finish in four years, with a 273 with overnight leader Austrian Bernd Wiesberger, another shot behind.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’