Australian Online Retailers Click Frenzy Promo: Price Cuts for 24 Hours
By Vittorio Hernandez | October 15, 2012 11:47 AM EST
The promo aims to boost weak sales across Australia before Christmas and at the same time to ride on the growing consumer preference to shop online rather than buy at bricks-and-mortar stores.
Grant Arnott of Power Retail, who organised Click Tuesday, said the sales promo could be similar to Boxing Day sales but on digital steroids.
Cyber Monday was launched in 2006 with over 700 U.S. retailers participating. Held on the Monday after Thanksgiving Day, it attracts 10 million shoppers. In the 2011 version of Cyber Monday, Americans shopped $1.25 billion worth of goods in just 24 hours.
Mr Arnott said he expects 200 retailers to participate in Click Frenzy and for sales to go up by millions of dollars.
While the National Retail Association supported the idea of Click Frenz, Trevor Evans, executive director of the association, warned the online retailers could take away pre-Christmas sales from bricks-and-mortar stores.
In the U.S., ahead of Cyber Monday, which is also preceded by Black Friday sales, the National Retail Federation is forecasting a 4.1 per cent sales growth nationwide based on current trends. Holiday sales account for about 40 per cent of their annual sales.
Among the indicators of strong sales in the U.S. are Standard & Poor's Supercomposite Retailing Index which rose 23.1 per cent for 2012 and household purchases which went up 1.9 per cent annually for the September quarter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build