'Okami HD' PS3 Release Date Set For Oct. 30; Capcom Announces Game Details At NYCC 2012
By Dave Smith | October 15, 2012 3:39 AM EST
Of the many announcements made at Capcom's "World of Capcom" event at New York Comic Con 2012 on Friday afternoon, the news and trailer released for Okami HD, set to release on Oct. 30 for PS3, garnered some of the best crowd reactions.
Okami, which was released on Wii and Playstation 2 back in 2006 -- one of the last PS2 games before the PS3, actually -- was one of the best-reviewed games of those two platforms. The game accrued an average score of 90 percent out of 100 on the Wii, and 93 percent on the PS2. IGN called Okami "beautiful, charismatic, engaging, and one of the most original games you'll play anytime soon."
Six years later, Okami is still very relevant and powerful, but Capcom updated the game anyway, imbuing its popular game with updated visuals and enhanced controls.
"This is Okami HD," said Tristan Corbett, Capcom's strategic marketing coordinator, as he introduced the trailer to the NYCC 2012 audience. "It is the classic Okami experience brought to life in HD. If any of you haven't played it, it's a beautiful and charming game, and this is the perfect opportunity to."
Corbett said Okami's watercolor and cel-shaded palette has been enhanced to 1080p HD, "really going above and beyond" to rework the textures and character models for the more powerful PS3 platform.
The game itself hasn't changed -- players will still be able to control the sun goddess Amaterasu in her quest to kill the eight-headed demon Orochi 100 years after the creature was defeated and sealed away, but not killed -- but Capcom has endowed the game with a new control scheme, should veteran players want to try a new gameplay experience. Capcom announced on Friday that Okami HD will be compatible with the Playstation Move, Sony's motion-sensing game controller, but will also work perfectly fine with the normal dual-shock controller.
The PS3 release date for Okami HD is set for Oct. 30. Capcom did not announce any pricing details for the game, so unless the company has chosen to sell its newly-refurbished classic at a lower price, the game will release at the typical $59.99 price point for PS3 games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports