Comic Con NY 2012 Panels: Stan Lee Talks About ‘World of Heroes’ Channel In Q&A With Fans
By Lisa Eadicicco | October 15, 2012 2:27 AM EST
A few lucky comic book fanatics and superhero geeks got the opportunity of a lifetime Saturday: a Q&A session with the legendary Stan Lee. The Marvel creator -- who will turn 90 in December -- held a panel at Comic Con NY 2012 to introduce his new YouTube channel and to get acquainted with some of his biggest fans.
The comic industry icon was accompanied by the first America’s Next Top Model winner Adrianne Curry and acclaimed writer Peter David, who are both working with Lee on his World of Heroes channel.
The programming lineup for World of Heroes includes “Stan Lee’s Super.Model,” “Geek Therapy,” “Head Cases,” “Chatroom of Solitude,” “Bad Days,” “FanWars,” “Adrianne Curry’s Super Fans,” “Stan Lee’s Academy of Heroes,” “Stan’s Rants,” “Cocktails With Stan,” and more.
“The best thing about working on YouTube is [that it’s called] Stan Lee’s World of Heroes,” Lee said with a laugh. “They make my name big enough, these people are geniuses.”
The panel kicked off with clips from “Bad Days,” an animated show that debuted on Oct. 4 featuring iconic characters such as Spiderman. Curry then took the spotlight to discuss her show, in which she seeks out the biggest nerds to learn their story.
“People always talk smack to people who collect [memorabilia], but I collect,” said Curry. “I have a lot of gentle giants that chill at my house. But a lot of people who collect make a whole lot of money, so I wanted to show how amazing some people’s collections and passions were.”
Curry wants to focus on real "nerd culture" in her web show.
“When you engage someone about their passion, it’s brilliant television,” she said. “Everything has a story.”
After the footage finished, Lee took questions from the audience, revealing which of his own characters he would be.
“Well I don’t know, maybe Tony Stark,” he said as the crowd erupted with applause. “I mean, we already look alike.”
To the crowd’s surprise, Lee revealed that he once worked on material for Marvel's archrival, DC.
“I had written a series of book for DC called ‘What if Stan Lee Had Created Superman or Batman?’” he said. “But [it] couldn’t continue because they didn’t want to compete with their own characters because mine are obviously much better,” he said as the audience roared with applause.
Although Lee has become the face of comic culture and has created characters that are timeless, his work wasn’t always well received.
“Years ago, people didn’t have respect for people who wrote comics,” he said. “People would ask what I do, and I would tell them I’m a writer. Eventually I had to say [I wrote] comics, and guys would walk away from me like I had the plague. But now I go to a party and somebody catches a glimpse of me, they say: ‘Excuse me, President Obama, I see Stan Lee over there!”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- Paul Walker's Daughter Paid Heart Touching Tribute To Her Father On His Birthday
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown