Comic Con NY 2012 Panels: Stan Lee Talks About ‘World of Heroes’ Channel In Q&A With Fans
By Lisa Eadicicco | October 15, 2012 2:27 AM EST
A few lucky comic book fanatics and superhero geeks got the opportunity of a lifetime Saturday: a Q&A session with the legendary Stan Lee. The Marvel creator -- who will turn 90 in December -- held a panel at Comic Con NY 2012 to introduce his new YouTube channel and to get acquainted with some of his biggest fans.
The comic industry icon was accompanied by the first America’s Next Top Model winner Adrianne Curry and acclaimed writer Peter David, who are both working with Lee on his World of Heroes channel.
The programming lineup for World of Heroes includes “Stan Lee’s Super.Model,” “Geek Therapy,” “Head Cases,” “Chatroom of Solitude,” “Bad Days,” “FanWars,” “Adrianne Curry’s Super Fans,” “Stan Lee’s Academy of Heroes,” “Stan’s Rants,” “Cocktails With Stan,” and more.
“The best thing about working on YouTube is [that it’s called] Stan Lee’s World of Heroes,” Lee said with a laugh. “They make my name big enough, these people are geniuses.”
The panel kicked off with clips from “Bad Days,” an animated show that debuted on Oct. 4 featuring iconic characters such as Spiderman. Curry then took the spotlight to discuss her show, in which she seeks out the biggest nerds to learn their story.
“People always talk smack to people who collect [memorabilia], but I collect,” said Curry. “I have a lot of gentle giants that chill at my house. But a lot of people who collect make a whole lot of money, so I wanted to show how amazing some people’s collections and passions were.”
Curry wants to focus on real "nerd culture" in her web show.
“When you engage someone about their passion, it’s brilliant television,” she said. “Everything has a story.”
After the footage finished, Lee took questions from the audience, revealing which of his own characters he would be.
“Well I don’t know, maybe Tony Stark,” he said as the crowd erupted with applause. “I mean, we already look alike.”
To the crowd’s surprise, Lee revealed that he once worked on material for Marvel's archrival, DC.
“I had written a series of book for DC called ‘What if Stan Lee Had Created Superman or Batman?’” he said. “But [it] couldn’t continue because they didn’t want to compete with their own characters because mine are obviously much better,” he said as the audience roared with applause.
Although Lee has become the face of comic culture and has created characters that are timeless, his work wasn’t always well received.
“Years ago, people didn’t have respect for people who wrote comics,” he said. “People would ask what I do, and I would tell them I’m a writer. Eventually I had to say [I wrote] comics, and guys would walk away from me like I had the plague. But now I go to a party and somebody catches a glimpse of me, they say: ‘Excuse me, President Obama, I see Stan Lee over there!”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0