Liverpool Transfer News: Serie A Defender Excited by Reds Interest
By Vishnuprasad S | October 14, 2012 7:27 PM EST
Genoa defender Andreas Granqvist has said he is flattered by reports of interest from Liverpool.
It seems the Reds are lining up a £5m move in January for the Sweden international. The 27-year-old remained coy on the rumours but admitted the prospect of moving to the Merseyside outfit appealed to him.
"Honestly, I don't know much about this. I am truly enjoying myself in Genoa, but obviously it's flattering to be linked with Liverpool. It's a historical club with much success. It has gone very well for me and I have got much positive feedback in Italy," Sky Sports quoted Granqvist as saying.
The report also claims that the Swede's performances for Genoa have attracted interest from the club's domestic rivals AC Milan and Lazio. The centre-back has already had a stint in the Premier League with Wigan Athletic, for whom he turned out in the 2007/08 season.
Shelvey Thrilled with England Debut
Meanwhile, Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has thanked England manger Roy Hodgson for handing him his international debut in the country's World Cup qualifier San Marino at Wembley. The 20-year-old came on for Michael Carrick in the 66th minute of England's 5-0 victory.
"Things couldn't have gone any better. I've thanked Roy for giving me a chance to go out and show what I'm worth and hopefully I can get many more call-ups. I'm buzzing to have played my first game, especially being at Wembley in front of the England crowd," Yahoo.com quoted Shelvey as saying.
"I just got told to keep the ball moving and to keep the game flowing, and I think I did that. Whether I get the next call-up is down to the manager but I feel like I've proven my worth and that I can play at this level," the Liverpool man added.
Shelvey also stated he would be prepared to return to play for the England U21 side, although he hoped Hodgson would give him a few more chances with the senior squad.
"I don't know what's happening now, whether I'm going to be going back to the Under-21s or staying. Hopefully, he's got me in his plans for future call-ups," the midfielder told the Daily Star.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales