Liverpool Transfer News: Serie A Defender Excited by Reds Interest
By Vishnuprasad S | October 14, 2012 7:27 PM EST
Genoa defender Andreas Granqvist has said he is flattered by reports of interest from Liverpool.
It seems the Reds are lining up a £5m move in January for the Sweden international. The 27-year-old remained coy on the rumours but admitted the prospect of moving to the Merseyside outfit appealed to him.
"Honestly, I don't know much about this. I am truly enjoying myself in Genoa, but obviously it's flattering to be linked with Liverpool. It's a historical club with much success. It has gone very well for me and I have got much positive feedback in Italy," Sky Sports quoted Granqvist as saying.
The report also claims that the Swede's performances for Genoa have attracted interest from the club's domestic rivals AC Milan and Lazio. The centre-back has already had a stint in the Premier League with Wigan Athletic, for whom he turned out in the 2007/08 season.
Shelvey Thrilled with England Debut
Meanwhile, Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has thanked England manger Roy Hodgson for handing him his international debut in the country's World Cup qualifier San Marino at Wembley. The 20-year-old came on for Michael Carrick in the 66th minute of England's 5-0 victory.
"Things couldn't have gone any better. I've thanked Roy for giving me a chance to go out and show what I'm worth and hopefully I can get many more call-ups. I'm buzzing to have played my first game, especially being at Wembley in front of the England crowd," Yahoo.com quoted Shelvey as saying.
"I just got told to keep the ball moving and to keep the game flowing, and I think I did that. Whether I get the next call-up is down to the manager but I feel like I've proven my worth and that I can play at this level," the Liverpool man added.
Shelvey also stated he would be prepared to return to play for the England U21 side, although he hoped Hodgson would give him a few more chances with the senior squad.
"I don't know what's happening now, whether I'm going to be going back to the Under-21s or staying. Hopefully, he's got me in his plans for future call-ups," the midfielder told the Daily Star.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report