Liverpool Transfer News: Serie A Defender Excited by Reds Interest
By Vishnuprasad S | October 14, 2012 7:27 PM EST
Genoa defender Andreas Granqvist has said he is flattered by reports of interest from Liverpool.
It seems the Reds are lining up a £5m move in January for the Sweden international. The 27-year-old remained coy on the rumours but admitted the prospect of moving to the Merseyside outfit appealed to him.
"Honestly, I don't know much about this. I am truly enjoying myself in Genoa, but obviously it's flattering to be linked with Liverpool. It's a historical club with much success. It has gone very well for me and I have got much positive feedback in Italy," Sky Sports quoted Granqvist as saying.
The report also claims that the Swede's performances for Genoa have attracted interest from the club's domestic rivals AC Milan and Lazio. The centre-back has already had a stint in the Premier League with Wigan Athletic, for whom he turned out in the 2007/08 season.
Shelvey Thrilled with England Debut
Meanwhile, Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has thanked England manger Roy Hodgson for handing him his international debut in the country's World Cup qualifier San Marino at Wembley. The 20-year-old came on for Michael Carrick in the 66th minute of England's 5-0 victory.
"Things couldn't have gone any better. I've thanked Roy for giving me a chance to go out and show what I'm worth and hopefully I can get many more call-ups. I'm buzzing to have played my first game, especially being at Wembley in front of the England crowd," Yahoo.com quoted Shelvey as saying.
"I just got told to keep the ball moving and to keep the game flowing, and I think I did that. Whether I get the next call-up is down to the manager but I feel like I've proven my worth and that I can play at this level," the Liverpool man added.
Shelvey also stated he would be prepared to return to play for the England U21 side, although he hoped Hodgson would give him a few more chances with the senior squad.
"I don't know what's happening now, whether I'm going to be going back to the Under-21s or staying. Hopefully, he's got me in his plans for future call-ups," the midfielder told the Daily Star.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build