Liverpool Transfer News: Serie A Defender Excited by Reds Interest
By Vishnuprasad S | October 14, 2012 7:27 PM EST
Genoa defender Andreas Granqvist has said he is flattered by reports of interest from Liverpool.
It seems the Reds are lining up a £5m move in January for the Sweden international. The 27-year-old remained coy on the rumours but admitted the prospect of moving to the Merseyside outfit appealed to him.
"Honestly, I don't know much about this. I am truly enjoying myself in Genoa, but obviously it's flattering to be linked with Liverpool. It's a historical club with much success. It has gone very well for me and I have got much positive feedback in Italy," Sky Sports quoted Granqvist as saying.
The report also claims that the Swede's performances for Genoa have attracted interest from the club's domestic rivals AC Milan and Lazio. The centre-back has already had a stint in the Premier League with Wigan Athletic, for whom he turned out in the 2007/08 season.
Shelvey Thrilled with England Debut
Meanwhile, Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has thanked England manger Roy Hodgson for handing him his international debut in the country's World Cup qualifier San Marino at Wembley. The 20-year-old came on for Michael Carrick in the 66th minute of England's 5-0 victory.
"Things couldn't have gone any better. I've thanked Roy for giving me a chance to go out and show what I'm worth and hopefully I can get many more call-ups. I'm buzzing to have played my first game, especially being at Wembley in front of the England crowd," Yahoo.com quoted Shelvey as saying.
"I just got told to keep the ball moving and to keep the game flowing, and I think I did that. Whether I get the next call-up is down to the manager but I feel like I've proven my worth and that I can play at this level," the Liverpool man added.
Shelvey also stated he would be prepared to return to play for the England U21 side, although he hoped Hodgson would give him a few more chances with the senior squad.
"I don't know what's happening now, whether I'm going to be going back to the Under-21s or staying. Hopefully, he's got me in his plans for future call-ups," the midfielder told the Daily Star.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans