Texas vs Oklahoma: Preview, Betting Odds, Prediction for Saturday’s Big-12 Game
October 14, 2012 1:07 AM EST
The next chapter in the Red River Rivalry will be written Saturday afternoon, as the Texas Longhorns battle the Oklahoma Sooners at the Cotton Bowl for the Golden Hat trophy.
No. 13 Oklahoma senior quarterback Landry Jones led his team back from a tough loss against Kansas State with a 41-20 rout at Texas Tech last week.
Jones threw for 259 yards and two touchdowns against the Red Raiders, and running back Damien Williams led the Sooners in rushing and receiving with 130 yards from scrimmage.
Sophomore running back Blake Bell contributed two touchdowns and 17 yards on the ground.
The No. 15 Longhorns look to recover from their first loss of the season, after falling to West Virginia and quarterback Geno Smith 48-45.
Smith torched Texas like he’s done every other team this season for 268 yards and four touchdowns, completing 25 of 35 passes, and running back Andrew Buie gained 207 yards and two touchdowns on 31 attempts.
Longhorns running back Joe Bergeron scored four of his team’s five touchdowns on runs of no more than four yards, and quarterback David Ash completed 22 of his 29 passes for 269 yards and one touchdown.
The Sooners have won the last two match-ups in this storied rivarly and Oklahoma left tackle Lane Johnson, who has played both tight end and defensive end in his first two seasons with the Sooners, is charged with protecting Jones from the Longhorns dynamic pass rush.
Junior defensive lineman Jackson Jeffcoat and senior Alex Okafor give Texas one of the most explosive pass rushes in the nation, and both hope to fare better against Oklahoma then then they did against the Mountaineers.
The contest begins at 12 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast by ABC.
Prediction: Both teams are capable of putting up points, but who runs the ball best and keeps turnovers down will prevail. If the Oklahoma offensive line can keep Jones upright, the Sooners will take home the win and the Golden Hat for the third straight year.
Betting Odds: Oklahoma is favored by 3.5 points
Over/Under: 59 points
Predicted Score: Oklahoma 20, Texas 14
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate