Texas vs Oklahoma: Preview, Betting Odds, Prediction for Saturday’s Big-12 Game
October 14, 2012 1:07 AM EST
The next chapter in the Red River Rivalry will be written Saturday afternoon, as the Texas Longhorns battle the Oklahoma Sooners at the Cotton Bowl for the Golden Hat trophy.
No. 13 Oklahoma senior quarterback Landry Jones led his team back from a tough loss against Kansas State with a 41-20 rout at Texas Tech last week.
Jones threw for 259 yards and two touchdowns against the Red Raiders, and running back Damien Williams led the Sooners in rushing and receiving with 130 yards from scrimmage.
Sophomore running back Blake Bell contributed two touchdowns and 17 yards on the ground.
The No. 15 Longhorns look to recover from their first loss of the season, after falling to West Virginia and quarterback Geno Smith 48-45.
Smith torched Texas like he’s done every other team this season for 268 yards and four touchdowns, completing 25 of 35 passes, and running back Andrew Buie gained 207 yards and two touchdowns on 31 attempts.
Longhorns running back Joe Bergeron scored four of his team’s five touchdowns on runs of no more than four yards, and quarterback David Ash completed 22 of his 29 passes for 269 yards and one touchdown.
The Sooners have won the last two match-ups in this storied rivarly and Oklahoma left tackle Lane Johnson, who has played both tight end and defensive end in his first two seasons with the Sooners, is charged with protecting Jones from the Longhorns dynamic pass rush.
Junior defensive lineman Jackson Jeffcoat and senior Alex Okafor give Texas one of the most explosive pass rushes in the nation, and both hope to fare better against Oklahoma then then they did against the Mountaineers.
The contest begins at 12 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast by ABC.
Prediction: Both teams are capable of putting up points, but who runs the ball best and keeps turnovers down will prevail. If the Oklahoma offensive line can keep Jones upright, the Sooners will take home the win and the Golden Hat for the third straight year.
Betting Odds: Oklahoma is favored by 3.5 points
Over/Under: 59 points
Predicted Score: Oklahoma 20, Texas 14
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group Stage: Puerto Rico vs. Argentina Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: France vs. Serbia Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How