Texas vs Oklahoma: Preview, Betting Odds, Prediction for Saturday’s Big-12 Game
October 14, 2012 1:07 AM EST
The next chapter in the Red River Rivalry will be written Saturday afternoon, as the Texas Longhorns battle the Oklahoma Sooners at the Cotton Bowl for the Golden Hat trophy.
No. 13 Oklahoma senior quarterback Landry Jones led his team back from a tough loss against Kansas State with a 41-20 rout at Texas Tech last week.
Jones threw for 259 yards and two touchdowns against the Red Raiders, and running back Damien Williams led the Sooners in rushing and receiving with 130 yards from scrimmage.
Sophomore running back Blake Bell contributed two touchdowns and 17 yards on the ground.
The No. 15 Longhorns look to recover from their first loss of the season, after falling to West Virginia and quarterback Geno Smith 48-45.
Smith torched Texas like he’s done every other team this season for 268 yards and four touchdowns, completing 25 of 35 passes, and running back Andrew Buie gained 207 yards and two touchdowns on 31 attempts.
Longhorns running back Joe Bergeron scored four of his team’s five touchdowns on runs of no more than four yards, and quarterback David Ash completed 22 of his 29 passes for 269 yards and one touchdown.
The Sooners have won the last two match-ups in this storied rivarly and Oklahoma left tackle Lane Johnson, who has played both tight end and defensive end in his first two seasons with the Sooners, is charged with protecting Jones from the Longhorns dynamic pass rush.
Junior defensive lineman Jackson Jeffcoat and senior Alex Okafor give Texas one of the most explosive pass rushes in the nation, and both hope to fare better against Oklahoma then then they did against the Mountaineers.
The contest begins at 12 p.m. EDT and will be broadcast by ABC.
Prediction: Both teams are capable of putting up points, but who runs the ball best and keeps turnovers down will prevail. If the Oklahoma offensive line can keep Jones upright, the Sooners will take home the win and the Golden Hat for the third straight year.
Betting Odds: Oklahoma is favored by 3.5 points
Over/Under: 59 points
Predicted Score: Oklahoma 20, Texas 14
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff