Liverpool Transfer Rumour: Rodgers Targets Celtic Striker
By Vishnuprasad S | October 13, 2012 9:09 PM EST
Liverpool are reportedly keeping tabs on Celtic striker Gary Hooper, following a breakdown in the 24-year-old forward's contract talks with the Scottish champions.
The Reds, who were already facing lack of options up front, received a major blow when the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) revealed new signing Fabio Borini fractured a bone in his right foot while on duty with Azzurri's U21 side.
With Andy Carroll out on loan at West Ham United, Brendan Rodgers has only Luis Suarez left as a recognised senior striker. The Northern Irishman is keen on bolstering options up front in January, and according to TalkSport, is now considering making an approach for Hooper. The report also claims the Englishman's contract negotiations with Celtic have hit a snag and the player is upset the club have broken several promises regarding the terms of the new deal.
Hooper notched 24 goals and eight assists in 37 league appearances for the Hoops last season, to help them clinch the SPL title and is understood to be close to earning an England call-up. The striker's current deal with Celtic runs till 2014 but if the situation - regarding the new contract negotiations - does not improve, the club could be open to selling the player in the next transfer window.
Ba Back on Reds' Radar
Liverpool are also monitoring long-time target and Newcastle United forward Demba Ba, reports the Daily Mail.
The Senegal international has been in sublime form for the Magpies this season, netting six times in seven league outings. The Reds were heavily linked with a move for Ba in the summer - including a reported swap deal involving Carroll - but Rodgers chose to sign Borini instead.
Meanwhile, the Mail also claims Liverpool could be set for a compensation battle with the FIGC, after it was revealed Borini reported for international duty already carrying an injury.
The Italians found out he already had a crack in his ankle, from a knock he suffered against Manchester United last month, after X-rays were taken, but still chose to send him for training, where he is understood to have aggravated the injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine