Liverpool Transfer Rumour: Rodgers Targets Celtic Striker
By Vishnuprasad S | October 13, 2012 9:09 PM EST
Liverpool are reportedly keeping tabs on Celtic striker Gary Hooper, following a breakdown in the 24-year-old forward's contract talks with the Scottish champions.
The Reds, who were already facing lack of options up front, received a major blow when the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) revealed new signing Fabio Borini fractured a bone in his right foot while on duty with Azzurri's U21 side.
With Andy Carroll out on loan at West Ham United, Brendan Rodgers has only Luis Suarez left as a recognised senior striker. The Northern Irishman is keen on bolstering options up front in January, and according to TalkSport, is now considering making an approach for Hooper. The report also claims the Englishman's contract negotiations with Celtic have hit a snag and the player is upset the club have broken several promises regarding the terms of the new deal.
Hooper notched 24 goals and eight assists in 37 league appearances for the Hoops last season, to help them clinch the SPL title and is understood to be close to earning an England call-up. The striker's current deal with Celtic runs till 2014 but if the situation - regarding the new contract negotiations - does not improve, the club could be open to selling the player in the next transfer window.
Ba Back on Reds' Radar
Liverpool are also monitoring long-time target and Newcastle United forward Demba Ba, reports the Daily Mail.
The Senegal international has been in sublime form for the Magpies this season, netting six times in seven league outings. The Reds were heavily linked with a move for Ba in the summer - including a reported swap deal involving Carroll - but Rodgers chose to sign Borini instead.
Meanwhile, the Mail also claims Liverpool could be set for a compensation battle with the FIGC, after it was revealed Borini reported for international duty already carrying an injury.
The Italians found out he already had a crack in his ankle, from a knock he suffered against Manchester United last month, after X-rays were taken, but still chose to send him for training, where he is understood to have aggravated the injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People