Liverpool Transfer Rumour: Rodgers Targets Celtic Striker
By Vishnuprasad S | October 13, 2012 9:09 PM EST
Liverpool are reportedly keeping tabs on Celtic striker Gary Hooper, following a breakdown in the 24-year-old forward's contract talks with the Scottish champions.
The Reds, who were already facing lack of options up front, received a major blow when the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) revealed new signing Fabio Borini fractured a bone in his right foot while on duty with Azzurri's U21 side.
With Andy Carroll out on loan at West Ham United, Brendan Rodgers has only Luis Suarez left as a recognised senior striker. The Northern Irishman is keen on bolstering options up front in January, and according to TalkSport, is now considering making an approach for Hooper. The report also claims the Englishman's contract negotiations with Celtic have hit a snag and the player is upset the club have broken several promises regarding the terms of the new deal.
Hooper notched 24 goals and eight assists in 37 league appearances for the Hoops last season, to help them clinch the SPL title and is understood to be close to earning an England call-up. The striker's current deal with Celtic runs till 2014 but if the situation - regarding the new contract negotiations - does not improve, the club could be open to selling the player in the next transfer window.
Ba Back on Reds' Radar
Liverpool are also monitoring long-time target and Newcastle United forward Demba Ba, reports the Daily Mail.
The Senegal international has been in sublime form for the Magpies this season, netting six times in seven league outings. The Reds were heavily linked with a move for Ba in the summer - including a reported swap deal involving Carroll - but Rodgers chose to sign Borini instead.
Meanwhile, the Mail also claims Liverpool could be set for a compensation battle with the FIGC, after it was revealed Borini reported for international duty already carrying an injury.
The Italians found out he already had a crack in his ankle, from a knock he suffered against Manchester United last month, after X-rays were taken, but still chose to send him for training, where he is understood to have aggravated the injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen