Spurs Star: New Role Makes me a Complete Player
By Vishnuprasad S | October 13, 2012 6:47 PM EST
Tottenham Hotspur's Clint Dempsey has expressed his happiness in the new central role handed to him by manager Andre Villas-Boas and stated it makes him a complete player.
The USA international played mostly as a winger or forward for his country and former club Fulham but is now being deployed as the attacking central midfielder, behind the lone striker, in Villas-Boas' 4-2-3-1 system.
"It [a central role] makes me more of a complete player as I can play in a number of positions at the highest level. I like playing in any position that allows me to attack and score goals," ESPN quoted Dempsey as saying.
The 29-year-old, who scored 23 goals for the Cottagers last season, opened his Spurs account with a crucial strike in the club's historic win over Manchester United at Old Trafford last month.
"It was a great time to open my account and the importance of the game made it more special. We've been playing a lot of games lately so it's good to have got the results we have in the last few fixtures," the American said.
Tottenham, who sit fifth in the Premier League table after four successive wins, welcome London rivals and leaders Chelsea to White Hart Lane after the international break, and Dempsey warned the Blues that Spurs' win over United had given the team the confidence and belief they can defeat any of the "big" teams.
"We know we can get results against the top teams, even away from home as we showed against United. We showed a lot of character in that game, especially in the second half, and it will be no different when we play Chelsea. We will all be up for it and wanting to get the job done," the Evening Standard quoted the Tottenham star as saying.
"We're in fifth place and we can go even higher than that. We have a lot of confidence in our team, we work hard and we have a lot of quality. It's about being consistent for the whole season and that's what we're working on," Dempsey added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier