Windows 8 Release Date: When Is Windows 8 Being Released?
By Maria Vultaggio | October 13, 2012 10:42 AM EST
The Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) began accepting preorders of its Windows 8 operating system on Friday, with the price for an upgrade to the full version of the software set at $70, according to Reuters.
If users are patient enough, they can download the new OS to their computers for $40 on Oct. 26. But beware: For those who like to get good deals, this one will expire the end of January.
Meanwhile, the Windows Phone 8 is scheduled to launch on Oct. 29, Wired reported.
Microsoft customers can reserve the new OS software through Amazon.com, Best Buy, Staples, and other stores.
Windows 8 is selling for considerably less than its predecessor, Windows 7, which costs about $200.
Good news for those who either bought or will buy a Windows 7-run personal computer between June 2 and the end of next January: They are eligible to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $15.
Microsoft decided to offer the upgrade to avoid a drop-off in PC sales before Windows 8 is launched, Reuters reported.
PC makers such as Acer, Asustek, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, and Sony are also taking preorders for PCs with Windows 8 preinstalled, Microsoft said.
However, Microsoft did not mention anything about its Surface tablet PC, which is expected to hit the market around the same time as Windows 8. The company hopes will challenge Apple's iPad and iPad mini.
Microsoft is spending between $1.5 billion and $1.8 billion on its Windows 8 marketing campaign, Forbes reported.
There will be two major changes with Windows 8, Forbes noted. Desktop virtualization must be used to access legacy Windows desktop applications and the server that displays them on the Windows RT tablet could be in a traditional corporate data center, in a private cloud, or in a public cloud such as Microsoft’s Windows Azure.
Computer manufacturers are worried whether it will help the declining PC market, but veteran Microsoft-watcher, Paul Thurrott, believes the company's Metro and RT are the future.
He told Forbes: “By engineering Windows 8 this way, and not just making a separate Metro-only OS for tablets and devices, Microsoft is sending us an implicit but, I think, clear message -- which is that the future of general-purpose computing will occur via devices and not PCs.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers