Gold and Silver Finish Week Lower
By Eric McWhinnie | October 13, 2012 6:31 AM EST
Both precious metals finished the week lower as slowdown fears and earnings season weighed on financial markets. Spain received its third credit rating downgrade from Standard & Poor’s, while earnings pessimism among executives in the United States reach its highest level since 2001.
However, a report by Bloomberg shows that the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) provided the best risk-adjusted returns among the biggest ETFs over the past five years. Adjusting for price swings, the ETF beat funds tracking stocks and corporate bonds.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust decreased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.30 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both fell nearly 2 percent. Silver names such as Silvercorp (NYSE:SVM) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) declined 2.10 percent and 2.85 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Caterpillar Outlook: Hidden Signal for Higher Gold and Silver Prices?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast