Gold and Silver Finish Week Lower
By Eric McWhinnie | October 13, 2012 6:31 AM EST
Both precious metals finished the week lower as slowdown fears and earnings season weighed on financial markets. Spain received its third credit rating downgrade from Standard & Poor’s, while earnings pessimism among executives in the United States reach its highest level since 2001.
However, a report by Bloomberg shows that the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) provided the best risk-adjusted returns among the biggest ETFs over the past five years. Adjusting for price swings, the ETF beat funds tracking stocks and corporate bonds.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust decreased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.30 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both fell nearly 2 percent. Silver names such as Silvercorp (NYSE:SVM) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) declined 2.10 percent and 2.85 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Caterpillar Outlook: Hidden Signal for Higher Gold and Silver Prices?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate