Gold and Silver Finish Week Lower
By Eric McWhinnie | October 13, 2012 6:31 AM EST
Both precious metals finished the week lower as slowdown fears and earnings season weighed on financial markets. Spain received its third credit rating downgrade from Standard & Poor’s, while earnings pessimism among executives in the United States reach its highest level since 2001.
However, a report by Bloomberg shows that the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) provided the best risk-adjusted returns among the biggest ETFs over the past five years. Adjusting for price swings, the ETF beat funds tracking stocks and corporate bonds.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust decreased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.30 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both fell nearly 2 percent. Silver names such as Silvercorp (NYSE:SVM) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) declined 2.10 percent and 2.85 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Caterpillar Outlook: Hidden Signal for Higher Gold and Silver Prices?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon