Gold and Silver Finish Week Lower
By Eric McWhinnie | October 13, 2012 6:31 AM EST
Both precious metals finished the week lower as slowdown fears and earnings season weighed on financial markets. Spain received its third credit rating downgrade from Standard & Poor’s, while earnings pessimism among executives in the United States reach its highest level since 2001.
However, a report by Bloomberg shows that the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) provided the best risk-adjusted returns among the biggest ETFs over the past five years. Adjusting for price swings, the ETF beat funds tracking stocks and corporate bonds.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust decreased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.30 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both fell nearly 2 percent. Silver names such as Silvercorp (NYSE:SVM) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) declined 2.10 percent and 2.85 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Caterpillar Outlook: Hidden Signal for Higher Gold and Silver Prices?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display