Gold and Silver Finish Week Lower
By Eric McWhinnie | October 13, 2012 6:31 AM EST
Both precious metals finished the week lower as slowdown fears and earnings season weighed on financial markets. Spain received its third credit rating downgrade from Standard & Poor’s, while earnings pessimism among executives in the United States reach its highest level since 2001.
However, a report by Bloomberg shows that the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) provided the best risk-adjusted returns among the biggest ETFs over the past five years. Adjusting for price swings, the ETF beat funds tracking stocks and corporate bonds.
In afternoon trading, the SPDR Gold Trust decreased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) dropped 1.30 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both fell nearly 2 percent. Silver names such as Silvercorp (NYSE:SVM) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) declined 2.10 percent and 2.85 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Caterpillar Outlook: Hidden Signal for Higher Gold and Silver Prices?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks